Red Line Oil 5W30TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I did more searching but nothing that shows a slugging problem as common? Anyhow, I run the factory fill which it should be 229.52 with the new engine. It holds almost 13 quarts so OCI is 10k. Maybe run an oil sample to Blackstone on 5k?? It is breaking in now.

We ran several 3.0 Sprinters, some were Bluetec, they had a myriad of expensive issues and a severe amount of premature rust (granted not an issue in CA), but we never had engine sludging problems, including when the idjit quick change places put garden variety 15W40 HDEO in them.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
We ran several 3.0 Sprinters, some were Bluetec, they had a myriad of expensive issues and a severe amount of premature rust (granted not an issue in CA), but we never had engine sludging problems, including when the idjit quick change places put garden variety 15W40 HDEO in them.

Maybe because of garden variety of 15W40 you had expensive issues. I will guess issues were with emission system components?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Maybe because of garden variety of 15W40 you had expensive issues. I will guess issues were with emission system components?
Nope-engine electrical harnesses, one of which was destroyed by a serpentine belt, numerous rust issues including underneath windshields and pretty much any exterior panel anywhere from the inside out, and a $10,000 transmission replacement. One issue was having the worthless Dodge stealerships work on them, if they had taken my advice and had the Freightliner dealers fix them out of warranty they might have lasted somewhat longer. Only engine problem I remember was an inline 2.7 engine that lost a turbo.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Nope-engine electrical harnesses, one of which was destroyed by a serpentine belt, numerous rust issues including underneath windshields and pretty much any exterior panel anywhere from the inside out, and a $10,000 transmission replacement. One issue was having the worthless Dodge stealerships work on them, if they had taken my advice and had the Freightliner dealers fix them out of warranty they might have lasted somewhat longer. Only engine problem I remember was an inline 2.7 engine that lost a turbo.

Not sure are U.S. Sprinters different from European. My brother has several in his fleet in Bosnia, never had issues except regular maintenance. Not sure how much Dodge is involved here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back