Recommendations for a Master Cylinder Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new brake master cylinder for an 83 Pontiac 6000 STE (heavy duty ja2 brakes) and am looking for recommendations on which brand. I usually go with Wagner, Raybestos, or AC Delco, but many parts these day are unknowns with all the buyouts etc. I see Cardone regular and select, their parts seem to get mixed results from what I see online.

Its a Pontiac 6000. Go with what you feel. The biggest detriment would be how long its sat on the shelf

A friend of mine had one of those back in the day. Thanks for bringing that memory to the fore. You'd be hard pressed to do better than going with Delco on the Pontiac. On closeout at Rock auto for about $56. Usually over $90

ACDELCO Part # 18M232 {#18030474} Professional Durastop
GM Brake Code JA2 Or JA3; HEAVY DUTY BRAKES

I got a Cardone on a Ford. Bad design, one of the connectors didn't fit on it, ended up getting a different brand at Carquest. At first I thought I just got a bad one, but had the same problem on the 2nd one so I gave up.

Most are made in China now,if new.Dont know where they rebuild them,probably Mexico.

Quote:
A friend of mine had one of those back in the day. Thanks for bringing that memory to the fore. You'd be hard pressed to do better than going with Delco on the Pontiac. On closeout at Rock auto for about $56. Usually over $90

A person who remembers. The 6000 STE was fairly well regarded in it's day, won several awards and received good critic reviews. It was far better than the standard 6000 or most a-bodies of the time. There were limitations since it was on a-body platform , but had good performance and upgrades for it's day. It was part of John DeLorean's Pontiac revival and written up as a potential future collectable by Richard Langsworth. We'll see how the collectability plays out. I'm sure it won't be a big dollar car, but a decent driver.

Anyway, I am trying to get a decent bmc for it. I found most parts, especially aftermarket, are not the quality they used to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
rockauto has a whole boatload starting at 15$

At that price level you could order a few models and just use whichever seems HQ.

When it comes to hydraulic brake parts, I would stay clear of internet sales and stay with a good local parts store. I have had to return more faulty master cylinders than any other part I have had to replace.It would be a bummer to have to wait for a replacement item to be shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back