Brake fluid for old Chevy pickup.

It's been longer than I care to remember since I changed the brake fluid on my 69 Chevy truck. It has front discs, rear drums, cast iron master cylinder & wheel cylinders, and steel lines. I have no idea what would have been recommended back then. Maybe Dot 3?

Anyway, I'd like to use something a little better than parts stores stuff, like Prestone, AC Delco, etc. A buddy of mine recommended Motul 5.1 non-silicon. What say you guys?

And yes, I'll change the hoses, too. Even though they don't look too bad, they are almost 30 years old.

Brake fluid is pretty much brake fluid as it is strictly regulated.

For an older, seldom driven rig, DOT 3 is probably the best choice as it's supposed to be least reactive with rubber brake components and thus slowest to leak. It's also less affected by moisture as it accumulates in the fluid, so better when it goes longer between brake services.

ATE Type 200 DOT 4, Pentosin Super DOT 4, Motorcraft/ACDelco DOT 3. The Delco or Motorcraft fluids are identical if not the same as Japanese OE DOT 3s.

I’m kinda hesitant using a DOT 4LV/5.1(ATE SL6/Super DOT 5.1, Bosch ESI6 or any of the OE-spec LV fluids) if your brake hydraulics aren’t all new, you never know of the lower viscosity fluid might seep out of old seals.

Back