Recommend an oil extractor

Looking for an oil extractor I can use for front differential service on my F150s as well as doing pan drains for the 6r80 anx 10r80 transmissions. Right now I use just a siphon pump which so slow but works alright for ATF and a suction gun which is barely functional for the gear oil.

Neither of these are frequent services but I do have both trucks. As such I’m trying to avoid breaking the bank. Anything good (or decent) for under $100?

I have the Trac Outdoors 7L extractor. I only use it on my 4L60 e transmission for siphon and fills. It works great for $43 shipped with Amazon Prime.

A vote here for Mity Vac, I have something like 19 sumps to manage and many more gearboxes diff, drives trannys , etcetera.
My units probably at least 15 years old and still works perfect, I store it inside.

They dont work on everything though - Im batting about 95%.

MityVac for the win! Of course I have never used any other extractor, so there's that...
What ever you get, I highly recommend getting one that reverses the flow to empty into your recycle container.

No mess no fuss... Eazy peasy.

MityVac for the win! Of course I have never used any other extractor, so there's that...
What ever you get, I highly recommend getting one that reverses the flow to empty into your recycle container.

No mess no fuss... Eazy peasy.

In a quick Amazon search, I don't see any MityVac branded extractors that offer both pneumatic and manual modes in the same extractor.

The FourUncles that does have both modes, does not have a 'reverse' mode to expel the fluids.

I'm not sure how to rank those options against each other. I think the shop air option sounds nice, but then it is theoretically less portable.

I have a lot of engines, and I've never used an extractor outside of a smaller syringe-style that I've used for the last few portable generator oil changes.

In a quick Amazon search, I don't see any MityVac branded extractors that offer both pneumatic and manual modes in the same extractor.

The FourUncles that does have both modes, does not have a 'reverse' mode to expel the fluids.

I'm not sure how to rank those options against each other. I think the shop air option sounds nice, but then it is theoretically less portable.

I have a lot of engines, and I've never used an extractor outside of a smaller syringe-style that I've used for the last few portable generator oil changes.
AFAIK, there are no pneumatic MityVac extractors.
10 pumps, with 1 hand, extracts your crankcase. Maybe a few more at the end as you fish around to get as much oil out as possible.
The key is warm to hot oil...
Flip the flow direction switch, 10 more pumps and 2 minutes later your extractor is empty.
If you have to lift and tilt a full extractor, you will make a mess sooner or later.
Reverse flow is, in my opinion, a requirement. Otherwise the tool only does half the job.

Even though I have not used one, the pneumatic extractors seem to also have bicycle pumps that that's a non issue.
I am not a shop, just a garage wrench... I would have to set up the compressor, hook up the air hose and fire it up.
The MityVac would be half way done extracting before the pneumatic ever started... But that's just my situation; your's may be different.

Here's about 7 quarts full; flip that switch and empty that bad boy. I can do it in my Sunday best! Nice roll away, huh? Kinda dirty...
1658360020299.png

Last edited:
I bought the EWK unit off of Amazon. It works good for draining diffs, transmissions, brake reservoir, oil pans in lawnmowers…. It was cheaper than I could find the Mityvac.

Just my $0.02

I have a Mityvac 7300. 8.8L capacity is nice. I have shop air in the garage so pulling the hose down is easy.

I do wish it dispensed though.

I don't see any MityVac branded extractors that offer both pneumatic and manual modes in the same extractor.

I'm not sure how to rank those options against each other.
You definitely want the ability to expel... if you must go manual to get this, go manual.

As mentioned, the portability of the manual is a plus, not a negative in my book... I do not own a shop, and often use the Mityvac in places without ready access to shop air.

As @JeffKeryk wrote, you can have the oil extracted with a few quick pumps (set it and forget it... go have lunch or do other maintenance and come back in 15 minutes) in the time it would take to get a non dedicated compressor set up.

FWIW, I use my extractor to get fluid out only. I don't have to worry about contamination this way. I have used my EWK for engine oil, ATF, gear oil, brake fluid etc... I dump it out when I am done evacuating the fluid. I use different methods to fill.

just my $0.02

I have the MityVac and it works great for the Honda oil and transmission fluid. I use it on the Jeep GC too. It will not work on my Corvette or on my F-150. The MityVac is a great tool to have for the product it works with. You can change the oil so easily and not make a mess.

I've used the HYPER TOUGH Multi-Use Siphon Pump Universal ( 36200WDI) that's $11 at Walmart for clogged sink and gasoline . Works very well .

This is very similar , but PENNZOIL brand name . Uses it for lawnmower oil change . Harbor Freight ( Pittsbugh ) also has one .

Last edited:
Back