Recommend a serpentine belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Had great luck with my gatorback belt.
Now known as Continental Elite-the silica infused Gatorback is the best serpentine belt ever! I just put one on the XJ yesterday!

Conti/Bando/Dayco/Gates. All are fine. Like stated definitely check the timing belt and the tensioner pulley when theres no load on it. If you can hear it spinning, its probably bad.

Last year replaced the serpentine on my DD Hyundai 2.4L with a Bando. I don't know why I bought the Bando as I never considered Bando before. Well, Amazon had it and it dipped in price so I figured why not try it.
I can't make any complaint about it. Runs nice and quiet. I was almost kicking myself in the 1st place for buying it.
I'll probably go back with Gates though after this, maybe.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Now known as Continental Elite-the silica infused Gatorback is the best serpentine belt ever! I just put one on the XJ yesterday!
Gatorbacks are the only belt I use. They’re great

OEM > Conti. > Gates > Bando. I no longer will use Dayco. The slight squeak made me nuts on my BMW. Replaced with OEM and gone instantly. Gates squeaks under WOT shifts on my F-150, gatorback won't, I can live with that though.
A lot of tensioners or idlers just use a 6203 2RS bearing. Press a new bearing in to save some serious $$. Easy with a vise or even a hammer and socket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
A 2008 should have had the timing belt replaced by now - those are due every 7 years or 100-110k. When the timing belt service was done, the external drive belts should have been replaced at the same time.

If a 2008 still has the original drive belts, it should raise a red flag for you.

For drive belts I only use dealer belts or Bando.

I had the serpentine belt changed on my wife's 2007 Frontier (80K) last summer. I asked for the old belt just because I was curious how it looked after 10+ years and 80K miles. I was stunned at how good it looked! After seeing this I did a few searches and found that MANY folks think nothing of running them for many years and 150 -200K.

So these new EPDM belts really are good. I would say a squealing belt is a good reason to change.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Gatorbacks are the only belt I use. They’re great

Goodyear sold their belt business to continental so it's all continental now no more Goodyear.

Cars that were built in Japan usually had a Mitsuboshi/MBL/3 star belt on them, and those are good belts.

However, getting a Gates belt is so easy that I wouldn't spend extra time trying to get an OEM belt. Gates belts are good the way they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back