Recent repaint and what PPF did

My 2015 VW got a hood and front bumper repaint due to rock chips. Tornado Red. 35 days after the repaint I took it for PPF installation. PPF guy noted that the rockchip areas are noticeable under the repaint; means the painter did not sand down the rock chip crater prior to repainting. Fast forward to 35 days after repaint: PPF installer noted that there are small layers of pain that came off and is attached to the PPF before he even did the squeegee maneuver. Looks to me like a layer of red paint came off. I do not see primer exposed.
Did the above topmost layer of paint come off because of poor prepping? If so, is the remedy to sand it all down to deeper layers and redo the paint? Or is this a problem with the PPF installer damaging the paint? Asking because the painter said he has never seen this in the 40 years he has done work. The repaint isnt great: lots of orange peeling. There is what looks like a grain of sand covered with the repaint and feels like Braille.

When I inquired about a repaint of my Mazda, I asked how long before I could have PPF applied.
I was told 90 days by both shops that quoted the repaint.

I would still take it back and have them repaint it for no charge. It also sounds like they painter did a quick job. Either way it's a poor paint job and the paint shouldn't come off from the applicator trying to install the paint protection.

My 2015 VW got a hood and front bumper repaint due to rock chips. Tornado Red. 35 days after the repaint I took it for PPF installation. PPF guy noted that the rockchip areas are noticeable under the repaint; means the painter did not sand down the rock chip crater prior to repainting. Fast forward to 35 days after repaint: PPF installer noted that there are small layers of pain that came off and is attached to the PPF before he even did the squeegee maneuver. Looks to me like a layer of red paint came off. I do not see primer exposed.
Did the above topmost layer of paint come off because of poor prepping? If so, is the remedy to sand it all down to deeper layers and redo the paint? Or is this a problem with the PPF installer damaging the paint? Asking because the painter said he has never seen this in the 40 years he has done work. The repaint isnt great: lots of orange peeling. There is what looks like a grain of sand covered with the repaint and feels like Braille.
Very normal with repaints and PPF. If you ever remove the PPF later on, there is a very high likelihood of paint removal.

When I inquired about a repaint of my Mazda, I asked how long before I could have PPF applied.
I was told 90 days by both shops that quoted the repaint.
The issue is that PPF is a consumable. At some point it will require replacement. Historically PPF installed onto repaints has been iffy when it comes time for replacement.

30 days is enough time to fully cure. You should have taken it back the moment the installer noticed the rock chips were still visible under the paint.
I did bring it back. BEFORE the repaint he said the car will look brand new again, and that he's been doing it for 40 years. When I showed him the painted crater, he said that he can buff it out. I asked with sarcasm that was thick as cold butter, "REALLY?" He replied, "Well it's hard to make it perfect, you know." And when I told him the paint came off w PPF, he said ,"Ive never seen it in 40 years of painting cars."
The suggestion that "I'm the only one who ever complains about sh*t" is a standard corporate reply when they are caught red handed.

Historically PPF installed onto repaints has been iffy when it comes time for replacement.
That's probably true of regular vinyl wrap also, I'd imagine?

I was watching some videos from a guy and he had his car wrapped... And then later removed the wrap and it removed large sections of paint where there had been some repainting at some point in the past.

That's probably true of regular vinyl wrap also, I'd imagine?

I was watching some videos from a guy and he had his car wrapped... And then later removed the wrap and it removed large sections of paint where there had been some repainting at some point in the past.
It all depends on the strength of the adhesive and the quality of the repaint prep. 3M and XPEL use a stronger adhesive system than some of the other brands.

It would be nice to have some pics.

Of course, aftermarket base coats are often very low adhesion. Even with some very high quality paints. If a pressure washer gets a "toe hold" under the paint, due to a chip or whatever, entire sections can easily be lifted off.

I disagree with the statement that a repaint will come off with PPF. I will say a poor repaint will come off with PPF as well as not last long even without PPF.

If a vehicle i properly prepped, painted using quality paint products (use the same paint manufacturer for primer, base and clear - whatever their system includes use it all!) and properly curing the paint job you will have a long lasting paint job that will not come off.

If a vehicle i properly prepped, painted using quality paint products (use the same paint manufacturer for primer, base and clear - whatever their system includes use it all!) and properly curing the paint job you will have a long lasting paint job that will not come off.
Keyword is "properly" and most are not.

It is all in the prep, I have painted a lot of plastic bumpers where a pressure washer will cut the plastic but not blow the paint away.
I use Polyvance primer then base/clear. On metal or damaged OE paint a good scuff with 320, clean with alcohol or if paint prepsol and prime with epoxy primer/DTM primer. Dry overnight, scuff and prime with the correct shade of poly primer, let it sit a few days so it shrinks then color/ clear, it will not pull off guaranteed.

Back