Reccomendation for Synthetic Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to start drain and fills every other oil change on mine and the wife's 07' and 08' Mazda 6's. The car specs for Mercon V. I can get Kendall Mercon V right here at work but I would prefer a synthetic. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Even if that means reccomending I buy the Kendall Mercon V here. Thanks in advance.

I think your car needs Mazda MV ATF not Mercon V. Mobil 1 is no longer recommending its ATF for use in Mazda. Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid would be great a choice for your cars.

I am pretty sure all Mercon V fluids are synthetic. Otherwise it would be a Mercon III.

With that said you can't go wrong with the Kendall brand, as long as your Mazda calls for it. But I personally prefer M1 and Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
I am pretty sure all Mercon V fluids are synthetic. Otherwise it would be a Mercon III.

With that said you can't go wrong with the Kendall brand, as long as your Mazda calls for it. But I personally prefer M1 and Valvoline.

I meant to say Mercon/Dexron III, for the others who read this thread. There's no such thing as Mercon III.

If you are looking for a Dex/Merc fluid I would suggest you take a look at the Maxlife fluids.

I am running them in several vehicles, those that require Dex III and those that require Mercon V, and it has not let me down. If you check out the product data PDF that is out of the Valvoline site it is a full synthetic.

Last time I took a long look around it was one of the least expensive "Full Synthetic" fluids out there for this application.
If you are doing drain and fills every other OCI I would give it consideration.

Also, if you are doing line drains I'd look into splicing in a Magnefine filter.

It appears all i have come up with is Valvoline Import which is supposed to cover m3 and m5. It says full synthetic as well.

Originally Posted By: hcbarger
I have decided to start drain and fills every other oil change on mine and the wife's 07' and 08' Mazda 6's. The car specs for Mercon V. I can get Kendall Mercon V right here at work but I would prefer a synthetic. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Even if that means reccomending I buy the Kendall Mercon V here. Thanks in advance.

Can I ask why you decided to do the drain and fills every other OC?

I had an 07 Maz6i with the 5speed atx and Amsoil ATF was much better than the factory stuff when cold. Skip the D&F and do 1 flush with it (3 gallons) on a proper machine in a shop and don't look back. Keep it in for however long you feel like, the filter in that trans is just a simple screen anyway.

Amsoil says service life is:
"Recommended for 50,000 miles in severe service* and 100,000 miles in normal service;* or per vehicle manufacturer-recommended intervals, whichever is longer."

So instead of flushing every 30k like the manual says you can pick anywhere from 50-100k based on how worried you are.

I autocrossed my car and it never skipped a beat. Tail of the dragon? Not a peep. In cold weather (teens) the first shift is sluggish but from there on out you're good. Stock fluid would be surgy/delayed for much longer.

After reading a few posts from other forums about these cars specifically it seems as though some are having problems with the transmissions later down the line. I have my own lift and do all my own service so doing a drain and fill every other oil change is no bother to me. pulling the drain plug on the transmission pan will only drain about 2.5 quarts out. So, no real good reason to do it except for a little peace of mind and that it really couldnt hurt to do it.

After reading a few posts from other forums about these cars specifically it seems as though some are having problems with the transmissions later down the line. I have my own lift and do all my own service so doing a drain and fill every other oil change is no bother to me. pulling the drain plug on the transmission pan will only drain about 2.5 quarts out. So, no real good reason to do it except for a little peace of mind and that it really couldnt hurt to do it.

Mostly with the old 4-speed pre-2006. Much less so with the 5-speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back