RECALL: Kidde Fire Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
The form was really easy to fill out. After submitting it I received confirmation that it was on the list and a new one will be shipped in about 20 business days with instructions on returning the defective unit.

What's it going to cost to ship the old one back, or is Kidde paying for return shipping?

I don't know yet. I presume when I get the new one, the old one will be returned in the box the new came in with shipping label.

That's what I would assume. Take the new one out of the box, put the old one in the box, and ship back with a prepaid shipping label. Seems like a waste, but I'm sure they need to make sure they're disposed of properly and they don't want people keeping the potentially defective ones around.

I have two that are recalled.

Quote:
The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.

Last edited:
I called the number today and told the lady I had 2 cases worth lol.

I had to go to each vehicle at work and get every serial number. I'll give her credit, it was VERY tedious but she took down each number, and gave me a confirmation number at the end. Then apologized a few times and thanked ME for being nice.

Personally, I checked the one in my RV and it was part of the recall as well.

thanks for posting this! I wasn't even aware of this recall! Yup mine's affected.

One issue.. What went wrong with these units that caused the recall? Ok, could say they're defective, right.. but what was defective? I haven't been able to find that info.

Originally Posted By: researcher
thanks for posting this! I wasn't even aware of this recall! Yup mine's affected.

One issue.. What went wrong with these units that caused the recall? Ok, could say they're defective, right.. but what was defective? I haven't been able to find that info.

Incidents/Injuries:
The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.

I have 10 to be replaced. I called and registered my claim. Took about 15 minutes (waiting and talking).

They told me "15-20" days to get the replacements. Time will tell if that is accurate.

I have 2.

I clearly got connected to offshore, it was not as good of an experience as the previous recall.

For the previous recall you did not return the extinguisher, they just said discard/recycle it according to local law.

For the prior recall the extinguisher I got as a replacement was a much nicer piece (Model Pro-2 IIRC)

Had it not been for this post I would never have known about the recall. Sho nuff I've got a bad one. Thank you ever so much for posting.

Has anyone verified with Kidde if they are paying for return shipping? I'd think they do if they are shipping a new one first. If people had to pay to return the old one many wouldn't even bother.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Has anyone verified with Kidde if they are paying for return shipping? I'd think they do if they are shipping a new one first. If people had to pay to return the old one many wouldn't even bother.

They're going to pay. It's in their interest to get the defective ones off the street so that they don't get sued should someone try to use one and have it not work.

I have 7 affected units in our van fleet. Filled out the form online and there supposed to ship replacements in 10-15 days. I don't know how they are going to replace millions of units in a timely manner.

Hmm, I think I had one last year that was below the green so I used that one to teach my kids how to use it (they already knew, but had never actually sprayed one).
I know I have a kidde extinguisher in the garage and one in each vehicle, not sure what brand the other 2 are in my house. Will check when I get home though, thanks.

I received one of my two replacement extinguishers today. The new one has a metal handle and pin where the old one was plastic. It came in a retail box packed inside another box. The directions for returning the old unit are to repack it just as the new one was shipped, apply the provided shipping label, and call FedEx for pickup.

New unit on the left, old one on the right.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
... Seems like a waste, but I'm sure they need to make sure they're disposed of properly and they don't want people keeping the potentially defective ones around. ...

I wonder if they could re-use the bottle, just stick a new style handle on it??

I checked all mine, I only have 1 that is in the recall (my 2 automotive ones are not in it, and the other in the house is a Home Safe? one).

Thatks for bumping this KD0AXS, while I was at my sisters this thanksgiving I saw she had a Kidde brand with a plastic handle and took a pic of it to check if it is a recalled one. Now to find the pic.

I have two from the 80s, with the plastic handles as pictured, but the lack the expected model and serial markings they ask for in the guide.

The call center handling the recall couldn't process them, so I called Kidde directly, and emailed them pictures, which were accepted as eligible.

Got my two replacements yesterday.

They do in fact have return instructions and labels with them. Honestly, the last one was kind of a pain to get rid of, so I’m glad to let them deal with it.

My old ones were both fireaway110’s, which are kind of tall and skinny, the new extinguisher is a much nicer piece, but is sort of short and squat. If you have them in the vehicles, it may not fit where you had the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back