Rebuilt salvage cars

I see a lot of these for sale and when I ask what the damage was they always say something minor like "just replaced the fender", "fixed dent", etc. How do they get a salvage title for such minor issues? Doesn't the damage have to be like 80% of the worth of the vehicle to get a salvage title?

What a vague question! How new are these cars? Something 8-10 years old it could be just a fender (and an airbag).

I've had a couple rebuilt salvage cars and haven't had any related problems. But they were pretty old to begin with.

You have to expect that they're hoping someone will buy the car without caring what sort of title it has, as long as it moves. In other words, someone less astute than you will pay more money than you would.

Save it for cars you "know" well.

How minor an issue can be before it totals a vehicle out, depends on the book value of the vehicle, so yeah something worth only $2K, could be totaled out from a fender bender that damaged the bumper and headlight assemblies. Multiple airbags going off will total something worth even more.

Otherwise, trust no one. All you know for sure is it now has a salvage title and "probably" at a minimum they replaced what was mentioned, or didn't, and are selling it AS IS.

Take it like you would any other vehicle with an unknown history, but also look closely for flood damage, that can take a while to fully manifest itself. Another sometimes related, and sometimes not issue that can total one out is a biohazard, for example it was covered in mold inside and they just cleaned it to look nice but mold spores are still in areas you'll never get completely clean.

It helps if you can talk to the prior owner, but if related/affiliated with the seller, again trust no one.

Last edited:
The only way to buy a salvage vehicle is to do the repairs yourself. Go to Copart yourself, pick up an older vehicle that took a minor hit but was totaled because of it's low value. You don't want to tie a lot of money up in a salvage vehicle.

What a vague question! How new are these cars? Something 8-10 years old it could be just a fender (and an airbag).

I've had a couple rebuilt salvage cars and haven't had any related problems. But they were pretty old to begin with.

You have to expect that they're hoping someone will buy the car without caring what sort of title it has, as long as it moves. In other words, someone less astute than you will pay more money than you would.

Save it for cars you "know" well.

I'm talking 2015 or newer cars that would have to have quite extensive damage to have repairs over 80% the worth of the vehicle.

There is a dealership or two here locally that specialize in buying cars deemed "totaled" and then repairing them and reselling those vehicles. I have noticed some TERRIBLE body panel alignment and color matching (not to mention what is hidden under neath the vehicle) on some of these vehicles with those particular dealers license plate frames driving around town. Viewing their websites their prices are not low enough IMHO to drive a vehicle that looks like it was in an accident.

You are right to be suspicious. They were declared a total loss for a reason.

If it was worth fixing, they would've fixed it. The only way it can be profitable is to cut corners during the "repair" process, and it should be obvious why I put "repair" in quotes. They're almost never done properly. A "good" car that happens to have a salvage title is only worth half of its clear title counterpart.

Most insurance companies won't sell comprehensive/full coverage insurance for a salvage car, thus banks won't finance them (banks typically require full coverage on financed cars)

There is usually damage underneath you can't see until after you take the body panels off.

Reactions: GON
Sounds like the used car salesman saying that this car was driven by a old lady to the store and to church on Sunday.

I doubt the seller would tell you that the car was rolled or t-boned.

It could be a theft recovery that wasn’t located until after the vehicle owner has been paid by the insurance company. Most salvage title vehicles are from accident damage. There are some gems that can be had because sometimes the insurance appraiser is lazy or totals it knowing there’s a high probability of additional damage. Sometimes vehicles get totaled for random things like parts being on national backorder or the car being involved in an accident a long ways from the owner’s home that would necessitate a very expensive tow or cause undue delays for the owner. But in general, steer clear unless you know what to look for or it’s a cheap older vehicle with minor damage.

You are right to be suspicious. They were declared a total loss for a reason.

If it was worth fixing, they would've fixed it. The only way it can be profitable is to cut corners during the "repair" process, and it should be obvious why I put "repair" in quotes. They're almost never done properly. A "good" car that happens to have a salvage title is only worth half of its clear title counterpart.

Most insurance companies won't sell comprehensive/full coverage insurance for a salvage car, thus banks won't finance them (banks typically require full coverage on financed cars)

There is usually damage underneath you can't see until after you take the body panels off.

Such vehicles go to shady used car dealers that concentrate on dumb, uneducated customers that only care that they can get financed.
Crappy lenders often finance the loan. The title can be re-branded in many states after inspection from salvage to reconditioned, rebuilt-salvage.. depending on the term the state uses. Root Insurance provides coverage for rebuilt vehicles.
Whats scary is some of the front end collisions where they pull, bend and fix bent unibody frame rails.

There’s a place in chattanooga, TN that makes a big business out of salvage titles. But they take pictures of the vehicle as it comes in and throughout the repairs and includes them in the package sold with the car. I’ve never done business with them but have a car guy buddy that has been very happy with them. Said they were very upfront and provided full evidence to the repairs done.

i also looked at a small shop that did this for Volvo’s. It was pretty much one guy, one series of cars that he knew well, and some part time help. He knew what to get into, and what not to, and I thought he did a good job.

salvaged vehicles probably vary from rebuilder to rebuilder, and it’s probably a wide swing.

Don't underestimate the cost of replacing popped air bags and seat belt actuators. They can easily push the repair price up high enough to total an otherwise repairable vehicle. Many of the shady "rebuilders" do not actually replace the air bags, they simply make the body and cosmetic repairs (as cheaply as possible), disable the air bag light, and then sell the vehicles without functional air bags. These vehicles are obviously unsafe. Personally, I would never purchase a salvage title vehicle unless it was totalled due to hail damage (quite common where I live).

Last edited:
There are body shops that repair/rebuild "totalled" vehicles every day and while I'd hope I never have to buy one, they absolutely can be done right. It has to be profitable for these places too or they wouldn't keep doing it. Remember, they aren't charging a customer or an insurance carrier their full labor rates when they do this work and they're probably getting major parts (body panels, etc) from junk yards (and possibly with a frequent-shopper discount !).

There are body shops that repair/rebuild "totalled" vehicles every day and while I'd hope I never have to buy one, they absolutely can be done right. It has to be profitable for these places too or they wouldn't keep doing it. Remember, they aren't charging a customer or an insurance carrier their full labor rates when they do this work and they're probably getting major parts (body panels, etc) from junk yards (and possibly with a frequent-shopper discount !).

It's profitable because they cut corners. Sure they can be done right, but it won't be profitable. Besides the parts and labor, the final selling price is much lower than it would be if it wasn't totaled

It’s not uncommon for body shops to buy wrecked cars and have their techs work on them during slow times and resell them. You are taking a gamble getting collision/comp on a car with a prior salvage title. The insurance company will often charge you the premium for the same non-salvage vehicle but then when it is “totaled” again and you make a claim you’ll be paid significantly less due to the prior salvage/branded title (source:worked in insurance).

I can see a few scenarios where someone can repair a vehicle for substantially less than the insurance company estimates. An insurance company won't take on the liability of installing used airbags, and has to include new parts in the estimate. A guy doing repairs on the side won't have that limitation.

But there is still the damage from the collision that was bad enough to set off the airbags, and the reduced value of a salvage title. Even if you don't plan on selling the vehicle, you can never predict when it might be needed.

Also note: I have seen cars "totalled" that were driven to the body shop, due to hail damage. Aside from glass, none had any damage that affected operation at all.

Back