Rear end fluid and ATF Recs for '01 Burb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time that I change my rear end fluid and drain and fill my transmission and change the filter.

According to the owners manual, we are supposed to use 75W-90 Syn gear lube. Does anyone use the GM lube or is aftermarket OK? If aftermarket is OK, which one, Mobil 1, redline, schaeffer? Even though I have the 2WD version with the traction control package, doe I need the friction modifier? GM's gear oil is very $$$.

One diff shop in my area claims that GM syn is too thin and he has seen many come in fried. The shop works on a lot of high end and race differentials in the Houston area. Comments???

How about transmission fluids. The owners manual just spells out Dex III. Is the standard Pennzoil Dex III OK or does GM use a special Dex III Syn???

Kevin, I read somewhere that the dextron III that GM uses is a Dextron IIIG. I think the "G" is pretty much equal to the Mercon V. I have looked on some of the bottles of Dextron III and have not found any "G" designation. So don't know if it all meets this requirement or not.
As for the rearend lube. I have a 2002 Silverado pickup with the G80 rearend. After the initial break in I put in the Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 gear lube. I have not had any problems what so ever. I didn't have to add any friction modifier to use the Amsoil.

Amsoil Series 2000 75-90 is a great product. I did refills in all my vehicles with it. It makes for smooth quiet ride. It has a friction modifier so you don't have to add anything else.

I use Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF in the transmissions. It is UNIVERSAL. It is an astounding product and I highly recommend it. Everyone that has switched to it has noticed a tremendous difference in reduced heat, smoothness in operation, etc. If you think your trans is okay now, wait till you put this stuff in.

i have the same diff. iused m-1 75/90, no aditive added ,ran good. now i am using penn. oil 75/90 ,additive all readity in. runs good. $ 7.00qt. wal-mart ... G.M.- $30.00 qt.{thats $120.00 agal.}
pat.gif

I believe the Pennzoil is the fully synthetic version in 75W90.

I have found it to be better than Amsoil S2000.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I believe the Pennzoil is the fully synthetic version in 75W90.

I have found it to be better than Amsoil S2000.

With the Pennzoil, do I need the 4 oz extra bottle of friction modifier or does the Pennzoil already have it in it?

Kevin,

It already has some FM. What I would do is simply replace the 75W90 and it the diffy chattered, I would add the GM stuff. I have found the GM additive shears quickly in locking (positract) differentials.

BTW, if you want a Gear Oil that has a little extra AW/EP, the Redline and Schaeffer's are
good pics as well.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/740-741.htm

[ October 16, 2002, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Kevin,

It already has some FM. What I would do is simply replace the 75W90 and it the diffy chattered, I would add the GM stuff. I have found the GM additive shears quickly in locking (positract) differentials.

BTW, if you want a Gear Oil that has a little extra AW/EP, the Redline and Schaeffer's are
good pics as well.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/740-741.htm

Thanks. I e-mailed Johnny Petree from here and Pennzoil and he said that I should use the GearPlus Super. He also said that it already had the FM in it.

Mole, do you know if it is a group III or IV base gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back