Really? Brittle rings and cold oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't so much that one runs across these old wives' tales as it is that people believe them.
I've never heard of anyone actually conveying the one shared by the OP.
I wonder if maybe the poster on the Pilot board was merely indulging in a little leg pulling?
Nobody could really believe cooler oil thermally shocking and thereby ruining the rings.
Or could they?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
It isn't so much that one runs across these old wives' tales as it is that people believe them.
I wonder if maybe the poster on the Pilot board was merely indulging in a little leg pulling?
Nobody could really believe cooler oil thermally shocking and thereby ruining the rings.
Or could they?

That is where a hint that it is sarcasm helps. ...

Last edited:
Or could they?

Believe me, he was serious. A few of his other posts were regarding someone with a Pilot that wanted to know if there was anything to do to obtain a smoother ride. He said the Touring and Elite models use a different suspension system to compensate for the standard 20 inch wheels. He told the owner to swap out suspension parts was the only way to smooth out the ride in his non Touring/Elite model. I looked up the main suspension parts (springs, shocks, struts, etc) and pointed out to him that there was absolutely no difference in any of the models unless one was AWD and another was FWD.

He also argued that using the highest octane fuel will increase gas mileage and power substantially. Finally told him to believe what he wanted to but it isn't true the way he was describing it. He said the MDX which has 10 hp more would be matched by the Pilot because the higher octane would adjust the ECM and allow higher HP.

I'll just post correct information whenever he says something stupid so others that don't do their own work will know what is what.

Or could they?

Some of the things I've heard as a former Mechanic, and these days being involved in professional racing, from people who are being entirely sincere, never fail to amaze and/or amuse me. If they ask me I'll try and set them straight. But some still want to argue that their old firmly held wives-tale belief is correct. At that point I wish them well, and move on. As I did a few times with fans this past weekend in Vegas.

How about all the dirt bikes and atvs that get plunged into frozen and icy streams in the dead of winter? They go from steaming hot to whatever temperature the creek water is and never miss a beat. Even if one ingests cold water it doesn't "shatter" anything.

INobody could really believe cooler oil thermally shocking and thereby ruining the rings.
Or could they?

Lots of people still think the earth is flat, because someone said it was. Society is heading towards Idiocracy at an ever increasing rate.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ls973800
He also argued that using the highest octane fuel will increase gas mileage and power substantially. Finally told him to believe what he wanted to but it isn't true the way he was describing it. He said the MDX which has 10 hp more would be matched by the Pilot because the higher octane would adjust the ECM and allow higher HP.

It's true that a computer controlled engine can make a few more HP on higher octane fuel because ignition timing won't be cut back if knock doesn't occur like it might on lower octane fuel. Not saying his claim about that/those specific vehicles was true or not, just that many high performance car makers will even say max HP is obtained with 93 octane fuel as an example.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
INobody could really believe cooler oil thermally shocking and thereby ruining the rings.
Or could they?

Lots of people still think the earth is flat, because someone said it was. Society is heading towards Idiocracy at an ever increasing rate.
eek.gif

I keep wearing this shirt waiting for a flat earther to point it out
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 02SE
Some of the things I've heard as a former Mechanic, and these days being involved in professional racing, from people who are being entirely sincere, never fail to amaze and/or amuse me. If they ask me I'll try and set them straight. But some still want to argue that their old firmly held wives-tale belief is correct. At that point I wish them well, and move on. As I did a few times with fans this past weekend in Vegas.

Ditto. I only push an argument if it affects me personally. What do I care if the person points to the setting sun and tells me it is East (it happened)? I'll have my say and not argue further.

Racing people are the worst. When guys get together and talk cars, the testosterone comes out. With racing people it is a whole magnitude worse.

the American built Honda J-series V6 engine is bulletproof (late 90's - present), sure the added VCM system is iffy... gut reaction is owner and/or previous owner neglect and abuse.

extremely rare chance of manufacturing defect.

machines are machines, they don't take care of themselves.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by atikovi
I just put my bottles of oil in the microwave to heat it up first before pouring into the engine. No thermal shock then.

But then the oil is IRRADIATED! /joke

Gives rise to the question of tin foil hats forming a Faraday cage

Microwave oven's frequency are tuned to resonate water molecules, as you can not deep fry foods in oil inside them.

The oven's enclosure and see through door is in itself a faraday cage.

16.gif

Only because the door is not all glass … even a hot suit is just a percentage of metal …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back