Ravenol DXG 5W30 D1G2 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
I would take any info from that Russian site with five pounds of salt.

In a vacuum sure...in a case like this where their data is consistent with every other major D1G2 producer and the OPs is counter....

Did you guys REALLY read the Russian site with a critical eye for detail? I just read both threads. The oil he sent in (which you guys believe is what DXG D1G2) was over 11.5 @100*C (not to mention a swing of nearly 20cST @ 40*C from an additive which looks like it thickened the oil up and diluted the add pack severely)... his previous sample was around 9.3 which is exactly what we would expect for DXG. So you'd rather believe a sample that ran less than 3600 miles and was heavily diluted with fuel THICKENED UP by nearly 2.5 cST @ 100*? His two UOAs of what are supposedly DXG D1G2 for both samples look NOTHING alike.

Below are the two samples from the Russian site. Top one is the one people think is D1G2 formula, 2nd one is supposedly also D1G2 formula. So, tell me what's more believeable- the PQIA test and my test that are essentially less than 5% different, or the results from the Russian site which claim to both be G2 that vary by huge amounts???

fake DXG 1.JPG

fake DXG 2.JPG

Valvoline did something similar when they used old jugs. The dexos license # indicated it was Gen2 but officially they couldn't label the bottles until after the official launch date. Then the bottles displayed the seal on front.

If the dexos license number starts with a "D" then it's Gen 2.

I cannot remember who commented on this way back when but they mentioned that Ravenol had a lot of variations in their oils from batch to batch. Again that is third party sourced and is hard to believe a German company with a strict government regulation environment would have these issues.

The analysis seems to tell us that consistency is not there.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Still doesn't account for the Russian D1G2 VOA.

Which was adulterated with a Liqui-Moly oil additive. So that UOA is essentially worthless in telling you what Ravenol DXG D1G2 should look like on a UOA.

I don't speak Russian...LOL! But I do know my way around a periodic table. I guess that's the problem with all these sites....we have to believe the people posting are posting accurate information. I feel a little better now but would still like to know why Ravenol's formulation differs so much from the other major manufactures?

I don't know either... that's why I was hoping MolaKule or SonOfJoe or another formulator would weigh in on this- because as smart as we all think we are, none of us outside of formulators or GM oil engineers really know what D1G2 really consists of.
smile.gif

I cannot remember who commented on this way back when but they mentioned that Ravenol had a lot of variations in their oils from batch to batch. Again that is third party sourced and is hard to believe a German company with a strict government regulation environment would have these issues.

See this thread at pages 4, 5 and 8:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4933497/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja

Thanks for bringing that up. It was a interesting thread despite the thick crowd gasping over a 0w16 oil. The conflict between Ravenol and the Russia site was never fully explained and we may never know.

I grabbed the batch number and emailed Ravenol to determine exactly what it is. The wording below is extremely confusing, and I could not find any documentation on Ravenol's website on how to decipher the batch numbers, so I will post up their reply when it comes in. Hopefully it will be tomorrow.

ravenol batch.PNG

Originally Posted by claluja

Thanks for bringing that up. It was a interesting thread despite the thick crowd gasping over a 0w16 oil. The conflict between Ravenol and the Russia site was never fully explained and we may never know.

I remember reading it on the RU site at the time. Not a good thing for Rav, but we'll probably never know for sure whether it was QC issues, bad lab, etc.

Boy, SRR's VOA doesn't look like any d1G2 oil I have seen so far...I think I saw an SN+ oil with Ca just under 2000ppm, but there was certainly no Na. Don't believe that was a d1G2 oil...

I'm certainly no oil formulator or tester, but I gotta think that there was a screwup and that d1G2 bottle got filled with older oil. I have been very tempted by that Ravenol DXG, but I've already been burned once trying to buy the d1G2 version (although that was fully rectified at only the cost of maybe half an hour of my time) and I think this thread puts a stake in the heart of that fascination.

Hopefully I hear back from Ravenol today. I'll post my email to them and their response when it comes in. I don't know how there would have been a mixup, because they shouldn't have even had the D1G2 labels available in their production facility until the spec was approved, and their quality checks should have caught it if they were making a certain lot with the wrong labels.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Hopefully I hear back from Ravenol today. I'll post my email to them and their response when it comes in. I don't know how there would have been a mixup, because they shouldn't have even had the D1G2 labels available in their production facility until the spec was approved, and their quality checks should have caught it if they were making a certain lot with the wrong labels.

Ravenol is not very communicative or forthcoming with information. I doubt you will get a response.

I'm still waiting for the SDS I requested almost 1.5 years ago. They basically refused to provide it to me unless I could prove that I had employees who were in contact with the product. Unbelievable, really. An SDS is supposed to be freely provided to anyone who asks for it.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Ravenol is not very communicative or forthcoming with information. I doubt you will get a response.

I'm still waiting for the SDS I requested almost 1.5 years ago. They basically refused to provide it to me unless I could prove that I had employees who were in contact with the product. Unbelievable, really. An SDS is supposed to be freely provided to anyone who asks for it.

Took them less than 6 hours to reply when I asked for the price of 0W-30 that is not offered in the US....

I hope there's a reasonable answer to the above questions but I agree it does not look good.

Still haven't heard anything yet.

Gubkin, can you point me to someplace that shows how they number their batches? Because in the post about what batches consist of D1G2, it certainly doesn't look like they are batching in sequential order or any easily decipherable pattern. I don't have the batch number handy but it is a 17201 number which appears to be between the batch codes that say they're D1G2.

That didn't tell me anything other than your numbers are both higher than mine and that of the reported batch numbers by Ravenol for D1G2 (which my jug appears to be as well). Weird how they make 4L and 5L sizes in some flavors of their oils but not in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back