ratchet tooth count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would 72 teeth be considered a fine tooth? That is 5' of arc. Ratchet is a 1/2 drive with a telescoping handle I had lunch at a Harbor Freight. I also bought a heavy duty rivet tool. It can handle 1/4" rivets. My old Craftsman can barely handle 3/16. Also a knotted wire wheel and a .5 Amp battery floater. Got a free flash light, tarp and 4 way screwdriver. I am tempted by the gen sets and getting another 6.5 HP engine for a spare. In case the current gives out. But the current Predator runs fine. The heavy duty tools are in prep to repair bad frame sections on the Rat.

Sams Club has a 3/8 inch set $10 with the gearless ratchet by Thorson, clearance items. I knew I forgot to get something when was there Tuesday
They used to make nice end wrenches.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm waiting on Snap-on to make their gearless ratchets in ¼ and ½ so I can buy the set.

The FZERO seems like a gimmick. Reviews are lukewarm and it seems like a solution looking for a problem. That being said, I have quite a collection of ratchets myself and I pretty much only use 2 of them
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Would 72 teeth be considered a fine tooth? That is 5' of arc.

Id say so.

UD

I have the 84 tooth Gearwrench ones. I would say 72 and up is fine tooth. They're not bad but the flex head on my 3/8" won't hold up anymore with a socket and extension on the end of it.

Anything 60 tooth and up is considered fine tooth. Personally I only use fine tooth for limited access otherwise I prefer 32-36 tooth ratchets, a high end 36 tooth is smooth and quiet and much stronger. IMO people make too much of these fine tooth ratchets for everyday use, I just don't see the benefit.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Anything 60 tooth and up is considered fine tooth. Personally I only use fine tooth for limited access otherwise I prefer 32-36 tooth ratchets, a high end 36 tooth is smooth and quiet and much stronger. IMO people make too much of these fine tooth ratchets for everyday use, I just don't see the benefit.

Agreed. I'd consider 60+ fine tooth.

But I have 24,36, and 40 tooth ratchets that work just fine. Of course, I've got my 60,72,90, and 120 tooth ones that also work.

Frankly, if I'm in a Situation where I can only turn a bolt 5-10 degrees on each swing .... I'm finding another way to remove that bolt, either by a different approach, or by removing the obstruction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajchien
Frankly, if I'm in a Situation where I can only turn a bolt 5-10 degrees on each swing .... I'm finding another way to remove that bolt, either by a different approach, or by removing the obstruction.

+1 on that, if I can only get that much movement and I can break it loose then something with a air motor is going on top or I am removing the obstruction like you say. So far I haven't broken or rebuilt one of my good quality low tooth count ratchets but have swapped them out for newer models of the same with QR after over 30 years in hard service.
Now I think of it most have never been taken apart, I still throw the heads in ATF every Friday night and leave them over the weekend that's all they get for lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back