rare AWD comparison test of CUVs on same tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Ws6

That Subaru in video would leave Mazda behind, so much on a hill like that that driver could go get a coffee before you arrive.
These videos are absolutely ridiculous. I would make that hill with my Toyota, let alone some other vehicle. It is absolutely worthless video from point of which vehicle is better in those conditions and could be manipulated in numerous ways. ANY AWD vehicle with snow tires that those cars had would make that hill. ANY, including numerous FWD vehicles.

They all do pretty much the same thing on snow/ice, now thay toyota and honda have awd systems that transfer more torque. I think the RAV has the real advantage being able to lock up, up to 25mph or so. Subaru awd is nothing special.

The RAV4 can only transfer up to 50% torque to the rear axle. But yes, the rear axle coupling can lock at 50:50 for up to 25 mph.
The CR-V can only transfer up to 40% torque to the rear axle.

Subaru AWD is nothing special, but is a true full-time AWD system, and using a CVT (in most cases) for fuel economy purposes. But its normal torque split is something like 60:40, and can transfer up to 80% to front or rear axle.

Where the CX5 comes into its own on ice, and low traction surfaces seems to be because it can transfer the torque before maximum traction is lost. Yay electromagnetic couplings. The Jeep comes into its own because it can bias tires with 100% of the engines torque, individually or as a combination. Makes it a BEAST for rock crawling and other high-torque demand situations. I drive in ice and snow more than I rock crawl, so the Jeep was "lost" on me.

That people think so much of Subaru's system is both a testament to their marketing, and how far ahead of their time they were in the 80's and 90's. Perceptions last. Marketing trumps facts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Ws6

That Subaru in video would leave Mazda behind, so much on a hill like that that driver could go get a coffee before you arrive.
These videos are absolutely ridiculous. I would make that hill with my Toyota, let alone some other vehicle. It is absolutely worthless video from point of which vehicle is better in those conditions and could be manipulated in numerous ways. ANY AWD vehicle with snow tires that those cars had would make that hill. ANY, including numerous FWD vehicles.

They all do pretty much the same thing on snow/ice, now thay toyota and honda have awd systems that transfer more torque. I think the RAV has the real advantage being able to lock up, up to 25mph or so. Subaru awd is nothing special.

The RAV4 can only transfer up to 50% torque to the rear axle. But yes, the rear axle coupling can lock at 50:50 for up to 25 mph.
The CR-V can only transfer up to 40% torque to the rear axle.

Subaru AWD is nothing special, but is a true full-time AWD system, and using a CVT (in most cases) for fuel economy purposes. But its normal torque split is something like 60:40, and can transfer up to 80% to front or rear axle.

Where the CX5 comes into its own on ice, and low traction surfaces seems to be because it can transfer the torque before maximum traction is lost. Yay electromagnetic couplings. The Jeep comes into its own because it can bias tires with 100% of the engines torque, individually or as a combination. Makes it a BEAST for rock crawling and other high-torque demand situations. I drive in ice and snow more than I rock crawl, so the Jeep was "lost" on me.

That people think so much of Subaru's system is both a testament to their marketing, and how far ahead of their time they were in the 80's and 90's. Perceptions last. Marketing trumps facts.

No, no one thinks of Subaru system as anything exceptional. Subaru is only manufacturer in THAT category that is using such system. If you take into consideration Audi or Stayer systems and even BMW xDrive (but that is more complex story why it operates as it does) than yes, Subaru system is not that special. But, when you compare to Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX (53, 5 or 9) etc. than yes, it is special.
Now, as UG_Passat mentioned, limiting factor when thing get really dicy for current Subaru's is CVT. Their AWD system is seriously capable to do actually some serious stuff where none of those small CUV's would ever venture. But, CVT became thing that is limiting them when things become dicy.

Originally Posted by edyvw

No, no one thinks of Subaru system as anything exceptional. Subaru is only manufacturer in THAT category that is using such system. If you take into consideration Audi or Stayer systems and even BMW xDrive (but that is more complex story why it operates as it does) than yes, Subaru system is not that special. But, when you compare to Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX (53, 5 or 9) etc. than yes, it is special.
Now, as UG_Passat mentioned, limiting factor when thing get really dicy for current Subaru's is CVT. Their AWD system is seriously capable to do actually some serious stuff where none of those small CUV's would ever venture. But, CVT became thing that is limiting them when things become dicy.

Even before the CVT, or with a manual, the Subaru system is just a work-around for quicker reacting diffs, while Mazda's system is aimed at efficiency without having to do any work arounds. Or, if you like, their electromagnetic couplings and myriad of sensors, is a work-around for not always delivering significant torque to all 4 tires, which allows a more efficient system.

X Mode in the subaru is a true advantage, though, agree 100%, regarding hill descent. Mazda could use that, unless it's quietly integrated without my knowing, and I hope I never figure it out.

Quattro is far superior to 4Matic and XDrive in snow/ice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Even before the CVT, or with a manual, the Subaru system is just a work-around for quicker reacting diffs, while Mazda's system is aimed at efficiency without having to do any work arounds. Or, if you like, their electromagnetic couplings and myriad of sensors, is a work-around for not always delivering significant torque to all 4 tires, which allows a more efficient system.

X Mode in the subaru is a true advantage, though, agree 100%, regarding hill descent. Mazda could use that, unless it's quietly integrated without my knowing, and I hope I never figure it out.

Quattro is far superior to 4Matic and XDrive in snow/ice.

It is not only quattro. But, not expecting you will understand.

I was expecting those wiper and moisture sensors would do better.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEKrkgfs8Y[video]

It def didn't do that well in that test. All I know is in daily driving the CX5 vs. the Jeep, and my friends experiences with Subaru, the CX5 is as good or better in snow/ice.

Also, I would be curious if TC was on/off for that video. If they left it on, it really nerfs the system. observe:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I was expecting those wiper and moisture sensors would do better.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEKrkgfs8Y[video]

It def didn't do that well in that test. All I know is in daily driving the CX5 vs. the Jeep, and my friends experiences with Subaru, the CX5 is as good or better in snow/ice.

Also, I would be curious if TC was on/off for that video. If they left it on, it really nerfs the system. observe:

All cars in that video had same conditions (all were in normal mode).
I am not saying Mazda's AWD is worse, but it is not any better than average.
As for normal driving, during "bombgenesis" in March I passed Suabru's, Mazda's, JEEP's, Cherokee's etc. with Sienna that had snow tires. That does not mean AWD system in Toyota is any better (it is not).

Last edited:
Watching those AWD vehicles in mud is as bad as watching true 4WD's (F/R lockers) try to drive on snowy roadways.
Just completely different vehicles and applications …

Likely applies to nothing current, however the pure mechanical(no electronics!) full time AWD system with rear mechanical LSD in wife's old 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo wagon manual transmission never had issue clawing through ANY challenging traction including mud, ice, running water on ice and deep snow. The test bed was a ski home with 1/4 mile washed out gravel/grassy driveway across open field (drifted in) that was not well plowed. It would drift in if no warm thaw cycle due to open field.

The modern AWD setups from friends and all-season would require some intervention like traction off or at worst a Kubota 4wd tractor at house to help them. My 07 MDX with SH-AWD(quick acting clutch pack) required stability off otherwise brakes would burn up and vehicle bog down/out while my wife simply drove around me with glaring smile. Note she ran on winter biased all-seasons.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Watching those AWD vehicles in mud is as bad as watching true 4WD's (F/R lockers) try to drive on snowy roadways.

All those AWD's are made to get you from point A to point B in snow without sweat, granted if you have snow tires.
Otherwise, they are absolutely useless.

Originally Posted by 4WD

All those AWD's are made to get you from point A to point B in snow without sweat, granted if you have snow tires.

Hmmm...mine does a lot more than that, but I DID purchase it specifically with ice and snow storms in mind. Really though, it's proven to be about the most useful class of vehicle I've ever owned, from 4 door sedans, to 2 door coups, to [censored], even the van I drove when I was working on my mustang. Just plain useful and fun to drive in the bargain. What about them do you find "useless", or did you mean for actual "real" offroad use? In which case, yeah...that's not their purpose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

Hmmm...mine does a lot more than that, but I DID purchase it specifically with ice and snow storms in mind. Really though, it's proven to be about the most useful class of vehicle I've ever owned, from 4 door sedans, to 2 door coups, to [censored], even the van I drove when I was working on my mustang. Just plain useful and fun to drive in the bargain. What about them do you find "useless", or did you mean for actual "real" offroad use? In which case, yeah...that's not their purpose.

They are OK n snow with good tires. They might be OK if bit of clearance are needed or someone like to sit high.
Otherwise, they are less useful than station wagons (smaller trunks), they do not handle as station wagons. I had bigger SUV than any of those, and for family, nothing beats minivan, although I cringe every morning I start it. As fun factor? Give me a break.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

They are OK n snow with good tires. They might be OK if bit of clearance are needed or someone like to sit high.
Otherwise, they are less useful than station wagons (smaller trunks), they do not handle as station wagons. I had bigger SUV than any of those, and for family, nothing beats minivan, although I cringe every morning I start it. As fun factor? Give me a break.

Maybe you just haven't owned a fun one? I see the Tiguan in your signature, and that's about as numb a driving experience as I can imagine. Overboosted super light steering as numb as Novocain, 0-60 in 9 seconds, blech! I, however, enjoy mine, and I've had plenty of legit "fast" stuff. This can't compete based on raw data, but it has amazingly good manners/handling characteristics. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds is sadly reminiscent of many V8 pony cars in the late 80's/early 90s (or early 2000's if you're Ford...rofl!) I remember a buddy of mine with an '02 automatic GT with 3.73's, CAI, running 15's at the strip... Handling is pretty impressive, mainly in the dynamics, how the AWD system does when pushed, and so forth. Some legit fun can be had on the street. Track? Nah, not something I'd really love on the track, but I don't think the two are comparable, as I never pushed my sports cars on the street the way I did on a track. You don't have a nice place to slide off the road like you don on the track. Where I live, that's down a cliff.

Steering feel is similar to my 370Z, as is suspension feedback. Acceleration is about like my 1995 LT1 Trans Am until past 100mph, while the brakes are far better, and brother? You can have plenty of fun with that. When I was driving a Z06, the G meter never really got past 0.8 or so on the street. Typically a long sweeper had me at 0.4-0.6. You just don't push handling on the street, when looking at empirical data, in my experience, unless you want wrecks, so the relatively low 0.8g on all-seasons this thing pulls isn't a meaningful "crimp on my fun".

Seriously though, go drive one of the more athletic CUV's. They're pretty comparable to pony cars from the late 80's/early 90's in every way on paper, and their manners are FAR superior.

That said, ground clearance was a huge reason I got it. Couldn't make my lifestyle happen with a "car" (I use that in the classic sense, as I know it's based on a car platform).

Last edited:
Maybe you just haven't owned a fun one? I see the Tiguan in your signature, and that's about as numb a driving experience as I can imagine. Overboosted super light steering as numb as Novocain, 0-60 in 9 seconds, blech! I, however, enjoy mine, and I've had plenty of legit "fast" stuff. This can't compete based on raw data, but it has amazingly good manners/handling characteristics. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds is sadly reminiscent of many V8 pony cars in the late 80's/early 90s (or early 2000's if you're Ford...rofl!) I remember a buddy of mine with an '02 automatic GT with 3.73's, CAI, running 15's at the strip... Handling is pretty impressive, mainly in the dynamics, how the AWD system does when pushed, and so forth. Some legit fun can be had on the street. Track? Nah, not something I'd really love on the track, but I don't think the two are comparable, as I never pushed my sports cars on the street the way I did on a track. You don't have a nice place to slide off the road like you don on the track. Where I live, that's down a cliff.

Steering feel is similar to my 370Z, as is suspension feedback. Acceleration is about like my 1995 LT1 Trans Am until past 100mph, while the brakes are far better, and brother? You can have plenty of fun with that. When I was driving a Z06, the G meter never really got past 0.8 or so on the street. Typically a long sweeper had me at 0.4-0.6. You just don't push handling on the street, when looking at empirical data, in my experience, unless you want wrecks, so the relatively low 0.8g on all-seasons this thing pulls isn't a meaningful "crimp on my fun".

Seriously though, go drive one of the more athletic CUV's. They're pretty comparable to pony cars from the late 80's/early 90's in every way on paper, and their manners are FAR superior.

That said, ground clearance was a huge reason I got it. Couldn't make my lifestyle happen with a "car" (I use that in the classic sense, as I know it's based on a car platform).

Well, Tiguan goes up that hill, unlike that V8 Mazda
lol.gif

Well, Tiguan goes up that hill, unlike that V8 Mazda
lol.gif

ROFL! My Mazda goes up any hill I need to take it up.

Also, while not a comparo, this is unique as [censored], lol! CX5 on winter Russian military proving ground, allegedly (supported by vistas of tracked vehicles shuffling by at high rates of speed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back