Rapidly developing storm ... or not? Heading for the coast ... seems almost certain, maybe? Updates are rolling in!

To the best of my knowledge, tropical storms typically are given names, and this was at the high end of tropical storm readings
I am not questioning the naming of this particular storm. This one was legitimately named. There are others that should never been named. Again, not my words, a veteran TV meteorologist in SE TX said that.

I am not questioning the naming of this particular storm. This one was legitimately named. There are others that should never been named. Again, not my words, a veteran TV meteorologist in SE TX said that.
seems to me they give a storm a name if that storm reaches TS status... even if it just attains that status for a short period of time it doesn't lose the name even if it doesn't amount to squat when it comes to hazards to human and property or by the time it finds its way to your area.
Hence the feeling you have that it wasn't worthy of a name... even though by their rules it did.

Also worth pointing out you can have the fortune of being on the weak side and not be too impressed by the sucker..

last year Ian made landfall about 45- 50 miles away from me, but honestly all I remember about it was it was sort of windy all day. :)
did not rain much... winds maybe in the 30's... meanwhile Fort Myers beach and Sanibel got blown away. Other than power going out for five days wouldn't have known we were that close.

OTOH center of Irma came about 40'ish miles from my house, and winds were maybe 70 at their peak, and we had a good 10" of rain and multiple trees down... but the back side of Iram was relatively dry, so we didn't get as much rain as we possibly could have... what a difference relative location makes.

This storm forecast so far ,has been a complete bust. As stated I live 22 miles from the Jersey coast. Nothing more than a rainy day. I’m not complaining . But so far..nothing.
I didnt see anything in the NHC that threatened the Jersey coast... unless it was your local media which I can only assume and maybe why you should only pay attention to the official NOAA site.

Even the chart I posted yesterday on Page 3 shows the tropical storm is no longer a storm once is comes within a couple hundred plus miles of New Jersey. .

Reactions: hrv
I didnt see anything in the NHC that threatened the Jersey coast... unless it was your local media which I can only assume and maybe why you should only pay attention to the official NOAA site.

Even the chart I posted yesterday on Page 3 shows the tropical storm is no longer a storm once is comes within a couple hundred plus miles of New Jersey. .
Media has a habit over over hyping everything....they want you to keep watching....

my bad 4.75 inches
Where about in NC?
We are near the SC Coastal area of NC, storm prediction for us was pretty much spot on. We had wind for sure but the central main part of the storm was to our north . So it was kind of nice reminded me of a nor'easter type storm I was used to in NY.
Windy overnight, you could hear it in bed but by afternoon the next day the sun came out. Total rain was lightly less than 1.5 inches which the forecast was pretty much correct.

Media has a habit over over hyping everything....they want you to keep watching....
Exactly, it draws people in, keeps them coming back, others it keeps tuned in = ratings = more advertising revenue.
Death and destruction is what people want to see and this is what they deliver to make money.

These are my only go to's

and

they are both under one roof.... www.weather.gov
yes and a more direct route :)
It's a significant storm with gale force winds that will be off the Jersey and Long Island Coast way off the coast though. Waves up to 10 feet. But this is not to be construed as a land based storm up there.

Click here for interactive map

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 10.49.46 AM.png

Also for boaters here is the NOAA marine site =
Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 10.54.02 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv

Absolutely. Main stream NYC metro weather forecasters made it seem like land fall was gonna be in Times Square, instead of unfortunate North Carolina. The storm weakened considerably once it made its way into New Jersey resulting in a rainy day, nothing more. I know forecasting weather is not an exact science but I’m convinced that sensationalism finds its way into the equation.

Absolutely. Main stream NYC metro weather forecasters made it seem like land fall was gonna be in Times Square, instead of unfortunate North Carolina. The storm weakened considerably once it made its way into New Jersey resulting in a rainy day, nothing more. I know forecasting weather is not an exact science but I’m convinced that sensationalism finds its way into the equation.
Agree 100%

Exactly, it draws people in, keeps them coming back, others it keeps tuned in = ratings = more advertising revenue.
Death and destruction is what people want to see and this is what they deliver to make money.

These are my only go to's

and

Me too….

Been that way for me for 22 plus years.

And Mike’s weather page is very good too with satellite information and other model information.

Agree 100%

I tell everyone…. If I’m genuinely worried…

You **** sure better be too.

Only ONE time I have been genuinely spooked was Hurricane Isabel in 2003… For good reason. Southeast Virginia was going to be on that storm’s right front quadrant the strongest part of the storm and a very very strong high pressure center northeast was blocking it from the traditional hurricane track in this region.

All that led up a extremely tight pressure gradient between the hurricane and that very strong high pressure and winds were going to be unobstructed from the Atlantic Ocean into the Chesapeake Bay and up into the James, York Rivers…

Mind y’all the NHC had it being 140 mph cat 4 when it was going the outer banks 4 days ahead of time, it weakened due to strong westerly wind shear but even at 105 mph it was the worst hurricane to hit this area since Hazel in 1954 and the hurricane of 1933.

Also of HUGE note was that the region had overcome an extremely severe drought. From summer of 2001-fall of 2002 many places in my region were 20-25 inches below normal precipitation for that period. Beaverdam reservoir in my home town of Gloucester was down 6-7 feet from normal full pool. I remember walking on dusty dry beaches where water was 4-6 feet deep. The federal fish hatchery lake Harrison in Charles City county where my dad and I went fishing regularly was down by almost 8 feet from normal full pool conditions.

Well in the amazingly busy winter of 2002-03 my region almost made up that extremely large precipitation shortage. The spring and summer of 2003 is was very wet and more than made up the deficit and then some.

Ground being completely saturated and water logged… I knew many, many, many trees were coming down. And I was more than right about that. A pretty high neighborhood in Yorktown was decimated by trees falling. One home had 6 very large pines cut the house in pieces… When they cut their way out of that neighborhood it was like a tunnel… because of all the trees down across the roads in there.

Many people were without power for 2-3 weeks in the southwest Virginia area. Even Richmond and northern Virginia got hit about has bad as we did…. Wind gust of 99 mph at Gloucester point 97 mph at the Yorktown coast guard station and 107 mph at Gwynn’s Island in Mathews county..

Now imagine if Isabel was actually 140 mph at landfall… Then it would have been 129 mph at Gloucester point, 127 mph at the Yorktown coast guard station and 137 mph at Gwynns Island…. It would have been a fair amount worse then what happened.

Yeah… I was genuinely spooked about that with Isabel. It was genuinely worthy of that.

Superstorm Sandy I went to the Harris Teeter and I only bought a few bananas, 2 yogurts… Everyone else was buying loaded loaded up carts… I told the nice guy who scanned my little amount of groceries. I told him IF he ever saw me buying all kinds of stuff like everyone else was that day…. Then he’d better be darn, darn worried.

This is the second or third storm that the Boston media spooled up their 'Storm Center' and 'Weather Center', etc. machines and sent the hapless young reporters to stand on a windy beach and blah, blah... Sensationalism is correct, and I'm convinced that this chicken little reporting for ratings, when something serious hits, is going to harm a lot of folks who were driven to complacency.

the next one is here and it is in the right place to maybe make it to Fla or the Gulf . time will tell
084600_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.jpg

Back