Ram 5.7L Hemi; Amsoil XL 5w-20 2.7k miles

Did a second oil analysis on my Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. The top was Pennzoil Ultra. The bottom was amsoil XL. Both same weight and both used roughly the same mileage 2700. Copper came down but tin exploded. Anything to worry about there with an engine that has just under 15k miles?
IMG_0268.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to put a better Oil Pump on this Engine! I would go with the Oil Pump that is on the Dodge Hellcat.

The combination of tin and lead would seem to indicate bearing wear. I'm not sure if these levels should be concerning, but keep in mind that the OCI was pretty short. How many miles are on the engine?

I don't think it's likely that the Amsoil is related to the increase in tin and lead, but I'd switch to a different oil and then do another UOA. Another factor that's probably changed between these two UOAs is oil temperature. The oil from the second UOA would have been exposed to higher operating temperatures in the summer. It could be that the 5W-20 gets too thin in the summer in your climate, especially if you do a lot of hard driving or towing.

The combination of tin and lead would seem to indicate bearing wear. I'm not sure if these levels should be concerning, but keep in mind that the OCI was pretty short. How many miles are on the engine?

I don't think it's likely that the Amsoil is related to the increase in tin and lead, but I'd switch to a different oil and then do another UOA. Another factor that's probably changed between these two UOAs is oil temperature. The oil from the second UOA would have been exposed to higher operating temperatures in the summer. It could be that the 5W-20 gets too thin in the summer in your climate, especially if you do a lot of hard driving or towing.
Thanks. I have roughly 14,800 miles on the engine. No hard driving. No towing. It does get hot out here. I am currently running Royal purple and plan on running an analysis on that.

so there was 7 miles and 2719 months on the first oil change and 2699miles 4 months on the second but it adds to 14800?
what am I missing on their report.o_O

so there was 7 miles and 2719 months on the first oil change and 2699miles 4 months on the second but it adds to 14800?
what am I missing on their report.o_O
They or I transposed them. First one was 7 months 2719 miles. Second was 4 months 2699 miles. It asked for lube time so I’m putting the mileage it was used.

Last edited:
They or I transposed them. First one was 7 months 2719 miles. Second was 4 months 2699 miles. It asked for lube time so I’m putting the mileage it was used.
now we are getting somewhere, and the first was from
aproximately?
9300-12000
second 12000-14800?

The first looks fine copper is probably from a cooler.
second well I'd get a 3rd to confirm anything.

now we are getting somewhere, and the first was from
aproximately?
9300-12000
second 12000-14800?

The first looks fine copper is probably from a cooler.
second well I'd get a 3rd to confirm anything.
Your numbers are pretty accurate.

Try 5W30 next time.
I’d hate for something to be going on and use 5-30 and then have a warranty claim refused because I didn’t use the correct spec. I get what Youre saying though. I wasn’t thrilled about the 5w-20 either

Just stick to your program for now. It may very well be some break-in still happening even though it reported 0 activity last sample. Just run & sample again when you just cant wait any longer or OLM then go from there.

I would stop switching brands, stick to one 5W-20 brand for the next 3 -4 oil changes. IMO would be easier to identify wear trends.
I would go PUP, or PP.
I would stop switching brands, stick to one 5W-20 brand for the next 3 -4 oil changes. IMO would be easier to identify wear trends.
I would go PUP, or P
Sounds like a solid plan. The idea was to run a few oils and compare picking the better of them. I have Royal purple in now and I have enough for 2 more changes of that so I’ll run all of that, test each change, and then pick between these 3.

I do prefer the look of PUP over the amsoil. Had a lower TBN but not a concern for me since I’m doing these changes at 3k miles or less. My engine appears to have certainly like it better.

Sounds like a solid plan. The idea was to run a few oils and compare picking the better of them. I have Royal purple in now and I have enough for 2 more changes of that so I’ll run all of that, test each change, and then pick between these 3.

I do prefer the look of PUP over the amsoil. Had a lower TBN but not a concern for me since I’m doing these changes at 3k miles or less. My engine appears to have certainly like it better.
Which version of RP are you using?

Which version of RP are you using?
Just their off the Walmart shelf API certified stuff. I have a lifetime drivetrain warranty on my truck so I’m sticking to API certified 5w-20 oils per my manual to keep that. That’s why I ran the amsoil XL and not their signature series.

I run my personal RAMs to 7500+ miles on any approved 20wt and tow a 8000 pound boat in there as well. On my 6th Ram, usually keep them to 70000 miles. Zero issues.
my company had 40 Rams in the fleet for a decade before I sold it. We just followed the OLM which seemed to be 7500-10000 miles between oil changes. Always used whatever 20wt the garage used. I can only remember 1 engine failure in that decade, plenty of transmissions…

You are overthinking this.

I’d hate for something to be going on and use 5-30 and then have a warranty claim refused because I didn’t use the correct spec. I get what Youre saying though. I wasn’t thrilled about the 5w-20 either

What is your intention with the truck. Is it a long term purchase or a 5 year type of thing?

If it's long term and you intend to drive it well past the warranty; then put in 0w-30 or 5w-30 because IMHO it's more important to worry about the life of your engine when you have your truck outside the warranty. There is less probability of needing your engine warranty, and nobody has demonstrated (to my knowledge) that warranty work was denied on a 5.7 hemi simply because of running 5w-30.

These hemis have a known issue with lifter failure. Still only a few percent get the problem, but it's something to keep in mind. Probably your best bet against getting the issue is to run a high quality oil that both protects and cleans extremely well, as the needle bearings might be failing due to crud/varnish getting in the bearings. I choose to run HPL's oils, the premium passenger is an excellent choice (as is the cheaper PCMO) which "meets or exceeds chrylser ms6395" and you can get it in a 20 weight if you wish. (The premium just has better cold start properties which is why I chose it over the plain PCMO, you may not need to worry about cold temps where you live.)

It's expensive oil, but you can (in theory) run it longer in your engine and if you're willing to pay $40 every time for a UOA then it's not a far leap to run a more expensive oil either and get the absolute best of the best for your engine.

PUP is a very capable oil, any reason for the 3k oil change intervals? Does your lifetime powertrain warranty require this?
Nah, the truck just doesn’t get driven a lot so usually it takes 6 months or more to get to 3k miles. 2-3 oil changes a year. Just wanting to keep clean oil in it. I figure oil is cheap, I enjoy changing the oil, so why not.
What is your intention with the truck. Is it a long term purchase or a 5 year type of thing?

If it's long term and you intend to drive it well past the warranty; then put in 0w-30 or 5w-30 because IMHO it's more important to worry about the life of your engine when you have your truck outside the warranty. There is less probability of needing your engine warranty, and nobody has demonstrated (to my knowledge) that warranty work was denied on a 5.7 hemi simply because of running 5w-30.

These hemis have a known issue with lifter failure. Still only a few percent get the problem, but it's something to keep in mind. Probably your best bet against getting the issue is to run a high quality oil that both protects and cleans extremely well, as the needle bearings might be failing due to crud/varnish getting in the bearings. I choose to run HPL's oils, the premium passenger is an excellent choice (as is the cheaper PCMO) which "meets or exceeds chrylser ms6395" and you can get it in a 20 weight if you wish. (The premium just has better cold start properties which is why I chose it over the plain PCMO, you may not need to worry about cold temps where you live.)

It's expensive oil, but you can (in theory) run it longer in your engine and if you're willing to pay $40 every time for a UOA then it's not a far leap to run a more expensive oil either and get the absolute best of the best for your engine.
I plan on keeping this truck. I hear you about the x-30 oils. It’s a lifetime warranty though so I’m not sure I want to go using spec’d oil outside what it calls for in the manual. I will look into the HPL. As long as it’s API certified, meets the MS6395, and 5w-20 it would keep me in the good graces of my warranty.

I will run this Royal purple out to 3k miles, do another test, and see what comes back.

Back