Question on getting paid.

I'm helping my next door neighbor with installing a new panel box and we replaced all the outlets in the house, about 30 of them. Been there for two days now about 12 hours total and will be there probably another 5hrs tomorrow to finish up the box. It is in a bad location behind the water heater inside a closet with the AC. I know that is not within code but it is an old house. I'm just a helper with general knowledge. He asked what I wanted to help him. I don't have a clue what to ask for and I don't know what he charged for the job. Suggestions? Thanks.

You as the helper I would charge $200 but if you are knowledgeable primary doing the installing then $300. You will never get a certified electrician for that.

Depends on your relationship with the said friend/neighbor.

Do you envision him being able to help you in the future? That might play a part.

$20/hour isn't anywhere near out of what would be reasonable IF you provided competent assistance, good effort, etc.

You can't hire anyone today for less than that in which they are competent (don't have to be told every step to take). IOW, if you emptied the trash, cleaned up, etc., without being told to, that's worth $20/hour right there, no questions asked IMO.

Agree with most. It's a side cash job of 17 hours. If you were just a helper monkey, that's probably worth $250. If you actually did any design or have any trade knowledge, I think asking for $300 minimum is fair.

You said it is not up to code, you do not need any connection to this if as someone else said the place burns down of something stops working. People are nice when they are getting something done on the cheap but if anything goes wrong yours will first name out of their mouth. " I paid him to do it, you better talk to him Mr insurance adjuster" LOL

Agree with most. It's a side cash job of 17 hours. If you were just a helper monkey, that's probably worth $250. If you actually did any design or have any trade knowledge, I think asking for $300 minimum is fair.
I think you are low. you can flip burgers here for 15$
$300 min.
I'd maybe ask what he thinks your help was worth/what is fair.

if its super low you wont be doing it again anyway.

I'd tell him "I was helping you this time.. if you want me to help you again I think $300 is fair."

are you helping your neighbor at his house.. or helping your neighbor at A house?

Thanks for all the suggestions. This was a job he had. His regular help couldn't be there and the job needed done per his agreement with the owner. It wasn't anything major on my part, just install outlets and help hold the light since the power is off and hand tools. I guess it will be a favor. Not like I was out of much for the most part. My job is flexible and didn't take anything away from me. Glad to help him out. Knowing him he will give me something anyway. Thanks again.

I'd say a meal or tool equivalent to minimum wage for 12 hours.
I've helped out many people in the past. I can't think of once when they returned the favor, or were even able to "pay it forward". So, don't ask for that.

That's why I suggested a nice meal out. If it's two married couples, it could cement a friendship that lasts and help prevent any future squabbles.

Back