Quarts vs Jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jugs are much more convenient for sure. No sense in paying extra for quart bottles.

320 gallon tote, 1280 quarts...
Shell Rotella T6, in 0W-40...

Around a thousand bucks, because it was the older CJ formula..
$75 for delivery...

Quote:
How much more are you willing to pay to purchase oil in quarts versus 1-gal or 5-qt jugs?...

Zero. With purchase of Flo Tool Super Quick Fill Funnel as pictured HERE jugs working better than ever. Always have kept a used spare qt bottle or two around for rare partial measure need.

As fyi, previous Flo Tool Super Quick labeled funnel at WM, now called HyperTough brand. Same funnel and still made in US.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
How much more are you willing to pay to purchase oil in quarts versus 1-gal or 5-qt jugs?

Obviously the price difference at WM between quarts and jugs is astronomical, but if the price difference was less, would you consider paying more for quarts?

No, I use the jugs for the old oil, wait till I have a fair amount of them and give to a guy for his waste oil furnace.
The jugs get used 2 or 3 times before getting recycled with no inconvenience, its a win win.
I wish they still made the old glass bottles with spout that could be refilled from bulk filling stations and get rid of plastic jugs forever. Those I would use in qt size.

Last time i bought quarts was when I was buying the Mazda oil with moly from the dealership. I quit doing that and buy 5 quart jugs now.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
320 gallon tote, 1280 quarts...
Shell Rotella T6, in 0W-40...

Around a thousand bucks, because it was the older CJ formula..
$75 for delivery...

Delivery fee. Funny. More like they charged you the cost of the tote. That's a lot of oil. BTW. Most totes are either 275 or 330 gal.

Jugs. Less plastic than quarts.

I need to justify getting an eco-box of oil, if I can get the cars in the family I care for and the friends on 1 weight of oil.

I usually buy the 5 qt. jugs but I don't find the difference between quart and jug at WM to be anywhere near astronomical for something I do twice a year. It costs about $4 more for a 5 qt. jug of PP than buying 4 quart containers. I have a 3.5 qt. oil change which leaves me some top off oil over the course of the OCI if I need it.

If I use QSUD, it's about the same spread difference only cheaper with the individual quarts of QSUD being 75 cents cheaper than PP and the 5 qt. about $5 dollars cheaper than PP. The only oils at WM that I find comparable in price to AZ, O'Reilly's, etc. are the M1 Annual, Valvoline ME and some select ones that are $9 plus a quart. Then again, the last oil I bought was individual quarts of PP at ACE Hardware that were 50% off.

I mainly buy 5 qt jugs and use a new plastic paint pail from Home Depot with quantity measurements. This makes adding the oil a snap. I have a few empty quart oil containers that if I have a small amount left in the 5 qt jug I use to store the left over oil to save shelf space.

Whimsey

I prefer quart bottles for pouring into the engine. But the 5 quart bottles are easier to pour waste oil back into. I'm kinda starting to lean towards the larger 5qt containers.

For my 1984 car, I buy oil in 5L jugs, which is exactly the amount it needs.

For my more modern ones, it's still jugs, but 4.4L. The 3 vehicles that use them need 3.7L, 4.3L and 4.7L so I have to mix & match but not much is wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back