Quaker State UD 5w-30, 9200 miles, 2012 Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tribocessive
to me olm is like an idiot light- useless; don't mess with a 1.4T; rl 5w30/ 5k oci imho.

Redline is a bit overkill for this application and my fairly conservative driving style.

This change I found out it was run a little too long. So the change I did yesterday the oil came out at 7500 miles and 26% left on the OLM.

GM's OLM systems have generally proven to be spot-on with their smaller engines.

Last edited:
qsud= good value, especially @ $20/5qt jug @ wlm; rl has high detergency and shear stability, very useful with your chevy engine; i like a maintenance plan based on time and mileage vs olm; good luck and happy motoring.

I have the 1.4T in my 11' Cruze and have used Mobil 1 exclusively. I plan on using only synthetics because of the turbo but after seeing this UOA (and the M1 UOA) I may be less fussy about brand and just do 5 or 6K OCIs.
Do you guys think the Napa Synthetic (currently $3.49 a quart) is up to a 6K OCI in this engine?

this oil is a good oil not great but good..
The pennzoil ultra or the mobil one are better oils but the prices are up there on those two...

A lot of people are dogging this oil but I'm fine with using it.

Is it Valvoline? No. But it's still a good oil.

39.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
A lot of people are dogging this oil but I'm fine with using it.

Is it Valvoline? No. But it's still a good oil.

39.gif

100% Agree! ^^^^

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Maybe Blackstone mixed up your sample.

What's the deal with the difference in Moly and Boron?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I definitely can't complain about fuel economy on this car. I've averaged about 43.4 mpg since I got the car in late August 2011. Then again, it is the fuel economy special.

I'm going to change at about 20% or 15% of the OLM, and no lower. That will leave enough of a safe margin on this engine.

WOW! 43.4mpg since August of last year. VERY IMPRE$$IVE!

Makes a VOLT look like the travesty it is, IMHO.

Why would you change anything other than a reasonable shortening of your OCI?

You already know (and have paid to determine) this regimen has proven itself for a longer interval. I'd run 7.5-8K or 20% on the OLM a couple times and then, maybe, rete$t.

Would some of the OA numbers being lower make any real difference? Or is it just the philosophy (not YOUR PHILOSOPHY, "the" philosophy) that lower must be better, even if there is no real economy of scale?

I'd be overjoyed that I'd found a solution that works in the real world and move on to something else...

Cheers!

Fuel economy is looking like it's about 43-44 mpg with my current driving style.

Changing anytime after the OLM hits 30% is my plan, and QSUD is looking like my go-to oil for this engine. It's performing decently, if not spectacularly. I'll notice meaningful engine wear by the time the rest of the car is scrap, which is pretty good for the real world.

Typical GM performance lately. Great MPG numbers, but since those are very driver-dependent I'm chalking them up to you!

You could just follow the OLM and the engine will outlast your needs.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

You're right, the 170+ mpg lifetime average is certainly a travesty considering gas is still over $4.50/gallon in these parts.

Sciphi, was this only the second oil change that the car has seen? If so it might just be residual wear metals. Even so it does not look all that terrible to me.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

You're right, the 170+ mpg lifetime average is certainly a travesty considering gas is still over $4.50/gallon in these parts.

Sciphi, was this only the second oil change that the car has seen? If so it might just be residual wear metals. Even so it does not look all that terrible to me.

This was the 3rd, if I recall correctly. It got one at about 3000 miles, one at 10k miles, and then this one at 19k miles. Most of the break-in should have been gone. I went a little too long on this one, that's all.

170 mpg is nothing to sneeze at. I wish my Cruze did get better at times, but "only" 44 mpg lifetime will have to do.

I'm reviewing this thread again because I am getting ready to use this QSUD 5W30 in my wifes '01 Lexus RX for this coming winter.

In May this year, I bought a 5qt jug of QSUD from W*M for $20.57(+ tax/stamp) and then, a QS $20 MIR making this oil essentially FREE! Or actually $2.67 for the whole 5qt jug(.53/qt) A GREAT DEAL!

But, it doesn't really look like a very rubust oil now does it?. I'll use it with confidence throughout the winter and change it again in the Spring and not worry
smile.gif
This OCI won't be anywhere near Sciphi 9200 miles.

If I can remember, I may report back in during the winter with some seat of the pants comments on the engine MPG, vibrations, startups etc.

The 1.4T also is fairly demanding on oil. It pushes 16 PSI stock, and up to 22 with a tune. It rips through the AC Delco dexos1 5w-30 with a terrific additive pack in about 5000 miles. That oil produced some very good extended UOA's in a 1.8l naturally aspirated Cruze.

Keep in mind that having a tiny by American standards turbocharged engine pushing lots of boost will be harder on oil than a naturally aspirated engine. So an oil that works well in a NA application might not be able to run as long in a turbo application, especially this application.

Your right Sciphi, my engine won't be using this oil anywhere near as hard as your Cruze. And I must say that the numbers for the Cruze engine at 9200 miles was quite good.

I'll be doing the OCI in Nov and easily run it til May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back