QT paid customer $20k+

Saw this on Facebook. Sorry if it's already been shared here somewhere.

QT MADE IT RIGHT! 👏 In my hands is $20,533.52. This post is the final update in my “contaminated diesel” incident with QT involving my brand new 2024 GMC 2500HD Duramax. The entire ordeal from start to finish was 36 days. For those who don’t want to read the rest the bottom line is that QT kept their word, honored their fuel guarantee, and my truck is completely repaired.

On Sunday, March 24th I filled up at the QT in Rockwall Texas with nearly 35 gallons of diesel. Unbeknownst to me, this fuel was badly contaminated with water, and the result would be a fuel system failure on my new truck. I made it 22 miles before I even realized there was an issue, and once I did I parked my truck and tried to figure it out. When there was no easy solution I had the truck towed to Lakeside Chevrolet in Rockwall for an assessment.

One cool fact about QT, they have something called “Guaranteed Gasoline”. I’ve seen this but never really knew what it meant. Well, what it means is that they guarantee you won’t have any issues with your vehicle on account of the fuel they sell you. Obviously I was about to put this claim to the test.

As the situation unfolded I learned that dozens of other vehicle owners had similar issues from the same station for the same reason. QT was even seen cleaning out the pumps and bringing in special crews. It was obvious this was a pretty big deal.

I contacted QT and they were professional and prompt from the start. The process is pretty straightforward, you have to fill out an official report and send in a certified statement from an ASE certified mechanic. From there QT looks it over, and then approves it or not.

Lakeside initially hoped for the best, and dropped the tank, replaced all the filters and cleaned out the fuel system. Sadly this didn’t fix the issue, and that’s when it got more serious.

After deeper digging it was determined that a complete fuel system replacement was in order, which is a $20,000 job on my truck with the parts and labor combined. It’s not the kind of repair just any mechanic can do, and Lakeside had to assign their top technician to my truck. Sourcing the parts was difficult, and required a team effort.

The complication at this point was that the dealership had determined what was wrong and what was needed to fix it, but the “paperwork” process of the approval was still ongoing, and for a time there was some concern that there would be disagreement about the diagnosis or some kind of arbitration. None of that happened.

By April 12th I had full verbal approval from QT for the repairs recommended by Lakeside, but no check in hand. At this point I was 100% confident the check would come, but I didn’t actually put my hands on it until April 27th.

As the repairs were completed I expressed some concern about the other components, and Lakeside went above and beyond to check the engine internals and completely pressure test the engine. We have determined with test results that there is absolutely no damage to the engine, and all of the issues were contained within the fuel system itself. Every component of this was replaced as a part of the $20k repair bill.

My truck now has all new injectors, pump, lines, filters, hoses and DPF system. I only had 22,000 miles on these parts, but now they have all been reset to zero, thanks to QT.

As I went through this process, I thought of all of the “podunk” gas stations across the southwest between Texas and California I have bought gas at. Would any of them stroke me a $20,000+ check? Would any of them standby their guarantee? Do they even have one?

QT made a mistake. It happens. It sucks. For them, for me, for everyone. But QT also made it right. They followed though, stood by their word, and handled the situation professionally. Sure, I would have loved it to have gone faster, but some things have to take time. I’m not upset. I’m thankful. I didn’t have to file a claim, contact my insurance, or even notate the specifics of the repair on my carfax. My truck is driving exactly the way it was before the failure.

The situation taught me a lot, but the biggest takeaway here is that QT really is telling the truth when they say they guarantee their fuel. Would I buy fuel from them again? Absolutely. Thank you QT! Customer for life! COMPANY WITH INTEGRITY.
1000020263.jpg

Interesting. I almost exclusively go to the QT down the road for my house for their Top Teir gas, although not sure how helpful it is in a DIT subaru boxer engine. This is cool to see.

QT built a new station less then 2 miles from me, have gotten great service from the folks and they will get repeat business. The dedicated E0 is nice too. thanks for sharing.

Any armchair experts want to guess how the DPF system got hosed as well?

The fuel system replacements are no joke. I stock some of the kits for the 6.7L Powerstrokes.

We have done a few from people that filled up from a station locally that has "R-99 renewable diesel" at their pumps. I have used it twice in a pinch and haven't been happy with how my truck ran on it, and mine is just a 6.0L.

Reactions: GON
QT also has great tea.......

And those diabetus inducing apple fritters have certainly clogged my fuel lines..... but Lord aren't they tasty after 10-12 seconds in the microwave.

I had this happen, but instead of water in diesel it was diesel in the premium gasoline tank underground.

Long story short, I filed a claim with Super America for a little under $1,500 that included replacement of all 8 injectors, fuel filter, drain and clean tank, etc. After they approved, I actually drove out the remaining diesel while diluting it daily with fresh gasoline. The car still ran fine after the initial fiasco, but it never left me stranded.

I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs myself and pocketed the rest of the cash. It was like Christmas come early!

That's excellent PR for sure. QT my go to gas stops between home and the ATL. They got the right name too. TT gas, clean restrooms, fast counter service, good selection at reasonable prices. Hard to beat.

I wonder if they have some kind of insurance to cover this type thing.

Sadly I would have to trade it in immediately for another brand new

Did they make any compensation for a brand new Duramax being taken

I am 100% happy they made good on the repair but they never go back together like they once were ......clips, harnesses, tank straps and heat shields

Interesting - I've noticed signage to this effect before at both QuikTrip and Kwik Trip stations (both solid options with good customer service and high standards).
I'd far rather deal with one of the above companies (or Casey's, who has a similar guarantee on their website but no signage about it) than some random owner of an Exxon, Shell, etc. in the event of bad gas. Incidentally, the one tank of fuel I've purchased that was noticeably "bad" (causing a super rough idle and incredible amount of vibration) came from a major oil company brand (though it was a low-volume station). Since I was on a road trip and didn't have much else of a choice, I ran it dry a few times and the problem was minimized with a new tank, and gone after a few tanks of fresh fuel from elsewhere - I was lucky to not have to do any repairs as a result of that bad tank of fuel, but think that I'd have much better luck getting something from one of the above brands than a random franchisee.

Speedway will not stand behind their diesel. I should have sued them after being stranded but the local tow company brought it home for me and after 2 hrs, some Power service 911 and a new Fuel filter (which I had on the shelf) I got it back on the road. Not fun sitting on the side of the road when its 4 degrees out. If it had been towed to the dealer I have no doubt it would have cost me a min of $500 for what I did to it.

Speedway will not stand behind their diesel. I should have sued them after being stranded but the local tow company brought it home for me and after 2 hrs, some Power service 911 and a new Fuel filter (which I had on the shelf) I got it back on the road. Not fun sitting on the side of the road when its 4 degrees out. If it had been towed to the dealer I have no doubt it would have cost me a min of $500 for what I did to it.
Curious where abouts this was?

Back