PYB still a BITOG fave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NASTI
Seems like Castrol Magnatec is the new BITOG favorite now.

Just don't get it. No doubt that it's a good oil and it will get the job done. BUT,

Apparently there is no moly, no sodium, no titanium, and little to no boron, and few of UOA/VOAs. It definitely has weak anti-wear additive pack, at least this is what we have seen from UOAs so far. Just don't understand what makes Magnatec special for some BITOG'ers.

If someone needs a conventional, PYB is cheaper and it has good amount of moly in it, along with several good UOAs. Or if we are talking about semi synthetics, VML is as good as Magnatec, if not better. Also, it is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Seems like Castrol Magnatec is the new BITOG favorite now.

Just don't get it. No doubt that it's a good oil and it will get the job done. BUT,

Apparently there is no moly, no sodium, no titanium, and little to no boron, and few of UOA/VOAs. It definitely has weak anti-wear additive pack, at least this is what we have seen from UOAs so far. Just don't understand what makes Magnatec special for some BITOG'ers.

If someone needs a conventional, PYB is cheaper and it has good amount of moly in it, along with several good UOAs. Or if we are talking about semi synthetics, VML is as good as Magnatec, if not better. Also, it is cheaper.

Again, analysis reports don't tell us everything about a oil. Lots of good oils have no moly or boron. Technology is producing better components.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Again, analysis reports don't tell us everything about a oil. Lots of good oils have no moly or boron. Technology is producing better components.

Thanks for the input. I am aware that lots of good oils which have no moly or boron have sodium as an anti-wear additive, like Valvoline. But Magnatec has none of them. This oil (Semi syn Magnatec) has been on the market for 10+ years in Europe, and I used it in the past. Now it is in North America, and just don't understand why it is so special for some BITOGers.
smile.gif

Although there are some additives that we are not able to see in the oil analysis, I highly doubt they use it in their entry level product. They still use Titanium and Boron in their top tier synthetic, and we are able to see it in analysis reports.

Again, it has a API SN and Dexos approvals. Not saying it is a bad oil, it will get the job done, but there is nothing "magical" in it at all (except their marketing
smile.gif
). There are some reasonably priced (even cheaper) syn blends with the same/more approvals out there.

If I could find PYB for 2$ a quart I would grab it. I like it over most synthetics but it is hard to justify when it sells for 3$ a quart and supertech full syn can be had cheaper....

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
If I could find PYB for 2$ a quart I would grab it. I like it over most synthetics but it is hard to justify when it sells for 3$ a quart and supertech full syn can be had cheaper....

Have you tried the rebate?

PYB is still a very good cleaning conventional oil. Seems like Castrol Magnatec is the new BITOG favorite now.

Not Here!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
My Honda ran on PYB and PHM for over 100k miles until I switched to synthetic.

If you were running PYB and PHM, then odds are very good you were already running at least some synthetic in that engine.

I'd say it's still a fan favorite here regarding conventional oils. Based on the searching/googling results that always came up on here when searching PYB vs GTX or PYB vs VWB etc along with high mileage formulations. Almost always to be more Pennozoil recommendations. Seems like people prefer the Moly/Boron add packs over the add packs that show up as mainly sodium based in VOA/UOA "SDDC" or MS5K in GF-5 targets. In the end I think you will be good if you pick an oil that meets the manufacturers specifications. If you like Pennzoil go with it. A lot of those threads are old and was before the rise of the Direct Injection turbo engines. I've moved over to full synthetic in my Direct Injection turbo engine. PYB or GTX might get to 5k but don't care to risk it. Feel better running PP/PU, Edge, or Magnatec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back