Put a new engine in wife's Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife has a 85 Corvette. Since she got it I put a brand new 6 speed transmission in, and a just recently a rebuilt 5.7l engine, we purchased from a local machine/Corvette shop. I have started her out using PYB 10w-30. How many miles should we run this and how many miles before I switch her over to a synthetic. Should I being using a 5w-30 viscosity? Thanks.

I would say you are not giving it the protection it needs. If it is a solid lifter camshaft you are asking for trouble. A roller would live longer, but any sort of souped up engine should have better protection than the off the shelf passenger car oils will give. I recommend you use a heavy duty engine oil like Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400...ect. They can be had in 15w-40 or 10w-30. All also make a nice 5w-40 synthetic that would serve you well.

Or if you want to stay in the 5W-30 range, all of Red Line's oils and Amsoil in their HD oils (like ACD, HDD, and their Dominator oils) offer thinner oils still dosed with enough ZDDP to make a solid cam happy.

I have recently gone wild stocking up on oil. 18 QTS of RL 5w-30 . and 18 QTS of RL 10w-30. I was wanting to use this exclusively in my Mustang GT, but I am sure the wife will be wanting to get her hands on the stock. Also looking to purchase out the RL D4 for the Mustang's tranny fluid swap. Before I came to this site ignorance was bliss...And alot cheaper.

Originally Posted By: nucleardawg
I purchased this motor from a machine shop, that pretty much deals in Corvette's.Is there a break in period/miles run, I should be runnning dino, before swapping to a full synthetic?

Just wondering, did the shop that built the engine have any suggestions for breaking it in, and the oil choice? Is there a warranty on the engine? I'd ask them and follow their suggestions in the event of a problem. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: nucleardawg
I purchased this motor from a machine shop, that pretty much deals in Corvette's.Is there a break in period/miles run, I should be runnning dino, before swapping to a full synthetic?

Just wondering, did the shop that built the engine have any suggestions for breaking it in, and the oil choice? Is there a warranty on the engine? I'd ask them and follow their suggestions in the event of a problem. JMO

What he said,I'd ask the shop that built the motor.

Well the High Output V8 in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS was a solid hydraulic lifter. I know chevy did not go to a roller cam in their High Output 305 until 87.

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
Well the High Output V8 in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS was a solid hydraulic lifter. I know chevy did not go to a roller cam in their High Output 305 until 87.

solid lifter and hydraulic lifter are 2 different things. I think you mean you have flat tappet hydraulic lifters.
chevey hasn't used solid lifters since the original Z/28 302 engine and the original LT-1.

FOLLOW WHAT THE MACHINE SHOP SAYS. NOT JUST FOR WARRENTY BUT IT IS TRUE, BREAK IT IN ON DINO FIRST THEN GO TO SYNTHETIC AFTER IT IS BROKEN IN TO MACHINE SHOP SPECS.

REALLY SOMETHING LIKE VALVOLINE WB WOULD BE BEST OR EVEN CASTROL GTX, WITHER IN 5-30 OR 10-30 DEPENDING ON WHAT THE SHOP RECOMMENDS.

I'm finding it odd the shop didn't spec an oil and a break in period. Back in the 70's I worked delivering parts for a parts store with a machine shop. They built just about anything, and always sent out an instruction sheet or spoke to the retail customer about engine break in and care if they built an engine. They didn't want them back because someone had some old oil laying around they wanted to use for a run in of the new engine.

break in drive it like normal but no full throttle until 1500-2000 miles and even then take it easy until the 3000 mile point. Of course stay un der red line until 4000 or so miles thats what i tell my customers.. Ask the machine shop what their opinion is also... Use a good dino for the first and second oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back