Pushing a truck to 520,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil has done a number of PoPT’s with taxi fleets … that takes more time than using a dyno as part of an ongoing process …
Some complaints here about OEM’s expecting owners to find their problems … at least this is not that …

No way is 500k on a dynomometer, indoors, on rollers is equivalent to 500k actual road miles. Other than testing out the dynamometer, the results are worthless.

Nothing amazing here.

Simulated freeway driving and 2500 lb towing is incredibly easy on that engine, I wouldn't say its worthless, but it isn't a real stressful for sure.

Lightly loaded well maintained small block chevies have been able to rack up half a million miles on them since the 60's.

For sure its nice to have only have to do 25 oil changes in 500K.

UD

Lube producers speak in terms of “claims” - what claim is not correct = they state they are “highway” speeds and what load the machine placed on the truck for towing (I know plenty of folks that don’t tow over 2500)
Rest assured the oil was tested after 20k OCI’s = they just might have a lab and some engineering folks to do that …
If it’s worthless … let’s put your STP oil to this same test …

I know lots that dont tow over 2500 as well, but they typically use a v6 crossover SUV capable of 3500 ) for that amount of weight vs buy half ton trucks to do it. For that matter Ive sen guys "need" 3/4 ton truck that to coleman pop ups.

Putting 2500 pounds up as a towing number doesn't exactly make me feel its stressing a SBC in a half ton truck which typically carry from 5-7500 pounds and some now up to 11K + my 04 titan has a 9500LB towing rating.

This test the way its written doesn't make me feel comfortable leaving it in for 20K under what I consider half ton truck type loads.
This test is using a half ton truck essentially in place of a car/SUV and is a pretty easy test load wise and just wont stress it much at all.

if I were pulling 5K for 1/3 the total miles at freeway speeds up and down hill the whole time it would be more realistic.

Put 7500 LB on it alternating every thousand miles or so like a guy towing a boat the lake a dozen times a year - then lets see how well the oil holds up.

This test is informative for what they dont do as much as what they do.

UD

Last edited:
Very rare to see a CUV tow around here … not many SUV’s really …
Every M1 AP thread has had another tree in the forest … but nothing else is getting judged since there are really very few oils still willing to put time and miles on the line in this manner …
I’m glad the vehicles we trust these oils with don’t have it so easy …

A real world test to me would be to donate the truck to an everyday average person to take it through "life" and then perform the examination at 520k.

The problem with these tests is the amount of time it takes. If you want to rack up 500,000 miles in a reasonable amount of time you have to drive a ton (taxi service, dyno, etc...). This leads to the criticisms that the car was kept at operating temp and didn't suffer from short tripping and therefore is not a realistic test. On the other hand, if they let someone drive it as their daily driver, by the time they hit 500,000 miles it would be 15 years later and the oil would be completely reformulated already.

For sure it needs to be automated or you'd never finish -but some simulations are more realistic than others

Id be happy with at least a simulated real world load Id expect a 1/2 ton truck to have.

Not some 10% -40% duty cycle test where you rarely if ever crack above throttle.

What's "freeway" speed in a closed room with no wind resistance? 15-20% throttle opening?
Does the simulation at least include hills and a varying load or some impossible infinitely flat freeway 400K long?

I see SUV's towing single/ double jet skis or small boat all the time but I do own a boat shop so it would be natural for me to see more tow setups than most guys.

I do agree- nice to see the effort as is and its more than most have done or ever will do to prove a point.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Personally I wouldn't recommend pushing it that distance.
Driving it would be much easier.
coffee2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Quote:
If it’s worthless … let’s put your STP oil to this same test …

Right. You don't see many other brands doing this kind of testing. I believe they also did it with M1 HM. This test demonstrates the oxidation resistance of the oil and it's ability keep internal wear and cleanliness to a minimum.

A real severe test could also look something like this: multiple short trips (stop/shut offs for about year. Mileage would be very low but that too would be interesting to see.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A real world test to me would be to donate the truck to an everyday average person to take it through "life" and then perform the examination at 520k.

You mean 25 years from now?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

LOL

Wow, one of the worlds largest oil companies finally made an oil that lasts 20k or 1 year.
Seems like a little company from Wisconsin might have beat them to the punch by a few decades.
27.gif

Where do they get materials … any major oil company can do this with no help from them … not the other way around.

Last edited:
By that logic, does Mobil make their own bottles? Do they have their own steel mill to make oil drums. Do they make every additive in house that is blended in their oil?

Source of raw materials is irrelevant to the topic, it is the selection of ingredients that makes the oil.

Logic? They make plastics and could … but the bottle and drum thing is just an oblique comment …

Any of the majors can make better oils than they do - but they have never figured there is enough market in “boutique oils” and Mobil has self confirmed that with AP …

Chevron, Shell, Mobil have and additives companies ...

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: tig1

LOL

Of course not. 25 years ago
laugh.gif

But seriously,tests in perfectly controlled lab environments are about as pertinent as the one arm bandit test saying which oil protects better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back