Purolator One seal problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only filter I ever had leak issue with was on a Toyota dealer installed (quick lane) OEM Thai Denso filter with P type gasket used on a Tacoma. Started dripping not too long after the OC. Tried to snug it a bit more after the it started leaking, made no difference. Took it back and they installed a new filter, mumbling something about a some nebulous recall on the filter(s).
whistle.gif
More likely, installer error. Second filter worked ok.

Also 4+ decades of diy oil and filter change, only thing I've ever done is lube the sealing gasket with a thin layer of new oil and tighten 2/3-3/4 turn after gasket contact. No special filter required, just modicum of common sense. I do prefill the filter where practicable.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Did you double check to make sure the seal gasket of the last oil
filter came off? This is a common sign of the dreaded double gasket too.

I trashed the old one so I can't check at this point, but I did not see anything out of the ordinary during the change. This was my first time using the newish Purolator One, which feels somewhat different than the old PureOne. I noticed that the seal had a somewhat powdery coating but assumed it was meant to be there, so i smeared it with oil and installed. As I mentioned, I made it hand tight; I could not turn it tighter by hand the next day, but could with a wrench.

This is the first time in 25 years+ that I had one leak at the seal! I will probably go back to fram ultra for the next change, mostly because I have never had a problem with them.

Last edited:
Possibly a bad filter or as mentioned the old gasket sometimes gets left behind. Just change the filter now that its crushed. Go with wix napa bosch or delco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back