Purolator l22500 Cut and Post (5k miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first cut ant post. Filter was run for around 3-4 months for 5k in my wifes 2008 Yukon with the 5.3. This filter was used during late winter and spring. Oil used uring the OCI was Old PU 10w30.

I cut this open due to all the Purolator tearing issues I have read about over the past year plus on this site. I used a hack saw to cut this can open near the end cap to ensure I didn't damage the media. (I don't have my filter cutting certificate...)

After inspection visually I put a bright LED flashlight down the center tube to look for tears and holes. The media was actually in pretty good shape. There was some waviness and pleat irregularity near the seam but it didn't tear. The media around the filter was flexible but the media directly on the seam was rather stiff. ADBV was soft and pliable.

I believe the date code has the manufacturing date of being in 2012.

I still have a couple Purolators purchased on deep discount at Kmart (I paid 75 cents a piece for these) and my plan is to use them up. Filter was replaced with a Wix in the event it was torn and not filtering media well.

image_zpscbm87oke.jpg

image_zps3ea0yc44.jpg

image_zpstijinusj.jpg

image_zpssbaczupx.jpg
image_zpsco83ib6s.jpg

If i had that stash i'd be using those for the next oil change. looks good mabye you'll get your filter cutters license soon,

Purolator without the metal seams tend to hold up a little bit better than the metal crimped models. Looking at the pleat distortion around the seam, you were getting closer to that failure point but the extra give at the seem seems to help a lot.

Seam pleat area won't win any aesthetics awards, but it didn't tear so it seems this one beat the bitog odds over a respectable oci/fci.

Wix is a good choice as replacement, using the Napa gold versions I'm picking up for ~$3.60 on sale at local Napa.

Thanks for the pics.

So now it is certificate AND license, things are getting bureaucratic. Looks to me like it's a gamble with Purolator brand filters. The Bosch WS I just cut open had the ADBV installed off center, no ADBV function at all. Then I fairly gently pushed my finger into the pleat at the usual tearing place and it tore just like usually shown. The media seems weak, like a little powdery. I tried it with the Denso and I had to press very hard before it tore and it tore right at the glue line. I would say 5 times as hard pressing.
Maybe you could try that and see how easy it tears?

Non metal crimps hold up much better for some reason at that oci You would probably be fine to go ahead and use them up but at .75 cents you aren't out much if you chunked them or returned them to A store for a different brand to feel safer. I took 8 p1s back to advance and told the manager about the tears going on he was happy to swap them for ultras exspecily since they cost more.

Tight clearance between the cartridge metal end caps and the can on the side circumference. Cold, near gelled oil has to make its way down ( or UP) through there in the Winter. Hmmm.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
No tears and people are still speculating and making things up.
Speculation is what happens when the company doesn't admit a fault and offer a range of affected products.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Purolator without the metal seams tend to hold up a little bit better than the metal crimped models. Looking at the pleat distortion around the seam, you were getting closer to that failure point but the extra give at the seem seems to help a lot.

+1

This filter is usually priced around $7-8 bucks so I would imagine a WIX at around $7 is a superior filter. That would be my guess on why it isn't very popular. At $0.75 it was a steal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back