Pure One VS Denso "First Time Fit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

I am bored so I was digging around in the garage and found these 2 filters. We all know the PureOne. The Denso (Thai) was one I ordered from someplace online in hopes of getting a 90015-20004 filter, I was disappointed in the end but this one does appear to be a bit better constructed than a Toyota OEM filter of the 90015-YZZD3 type. The P1 outer shell was very thin and easily squeezed, the Denso was much thicker/stronger. These were both bought for the 1GR-FE I used to have. On to the pics... element, leaf spring, upside down element, and filter end P1 on right Denso on left. Cap P1 on left and Denso on right.
IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

Up close Idunno if you can see, P1 on right, Denso on left.
IMG_1204.jpg

Last edited:
The bypass valve on the PureONE looks different than the ones I've typically seen on them. Purolator must not use the same bypass valve design on all their filters.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
IMG_1198.jpg

The metal endcap on the base end of the PureONE is really frakking crooked.

I had a few beers and threw them in the vice so thats why theyre bent etc

Looking on the box for the Denso, it probably shows the Denso Thailand construction type, without metal endcaps. This Denso, I believe, is sourced from Union Sangyo for this particular application. The filter looks like the Union, including the distinctive orange adbv.

Isn't Union Sangyo Malaysian?

Thai Yang Kitpaisan is a Thai company that makes OEM filters for many car makers, perhaps Denso as well, including HiFloFiltro for motorcycles and other powersports equipment.

I'm all in when it comes to scrutinizing filters, but one thing I don't understand is why does it make a difference to people whether the can is thinner than some others? I've never seen a filter so thin that it was in any danger of bursting. If I could get the great innards of say a M1 filter in something as thin as a Supertech, I'd say great if it meant a lower price.

Note the wider spaced pleats on the
Denso. A bigger filter may or may not have more inside.

Other things being equal, may as well go with the thicker can even if can failures are very rare.

They were about the same price IIRC, before shipping. Its not that I mind a thinner filter, the P1 was much thinner than I expected. It is almost like a soda can compared to the Denso. I ran p1's on my old 4Runner for a few years with nothing but great resutls, I was just surprised that they were that flimsy especially since I dont remember the old blue P1's being like that.

IMG_1193.jpg

That looks a whole lot like the baseplate on the Thai-made FULL filter I recently used on my wife's Corolla. Same manufacturer, possibly?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Isn't Union Sangyo Malaysian?

The ones I bought were made in Malaysia, well made, but the company is Japanese, according to their website, which also has a cutaway view of their filters. http://www.unionsangyo.com/quality.htm

I was saying on the side of the box, hard to see for sure though, it shows the typical Denso no end cap element, but the filter inside is different. I think Denso sources these from Union, for that app. Not that it is important one way or the other though.

For the can thickness it is necessary to use a mike with ball ends to measure.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
They were about the same price IIRC, before shipping. Its not that I mind a thinner filter, the P1 was much thinner than I expected. It is almost like a soda can compared to the Denso. I ran p1's on my old 4Runner for a few years with nothing but great resutls, I was just surprised that they were that flimsy especially since I dont remember the old blue P1's being like that.

No longer the same company since being bought by Botch and others.

Originally Posted By: labman

Had issues with Bosch?
I noticed their ignition points aren't built like they used to be.
(I still like the Purolator stuff, though, ownership aside.)

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: GMZ

Meaning what? Just because they have new owners now (foreign owners, as you enjoy pointing out so much) it doesn't mean all of their design and manufacturing is done by someone else. Do you think that Bosch/MANN bought Purolator just for its name and not it's entire business and manufacturing infrastructure? Bosch and MANN (and others) are putting their names on Purolator filters, not the other way around.

Purolator may have new owners but Purolator filters are still Purolator designs made by Purolator employees in Purolator's manufacturing plants, and still made here in the US. If their filters are slightly different now, it's probably due to design updates and economical reasons, not because the company is owned by Europeans who want to screw us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back