Propane Tank – Where does the Anode Bag go

I have a 500 gallon buried propane tank. I would like to replace the anode bag. Since I have never done this before, I have a few questions. Where would the new anode bag be placed? How is it connected to the propane tank? Is this something a home owner can do with a shovel or do I need to hire someone?

Thanks in advance for the help!

From working around buried piping systems, I'd install two anodes, one at each end of the tank. I'd also try to get it about midway deep in relationship the the tank. That being said, a shovel might not get you deep enough.
The important thing is to make a good solid electrical connection of the leads to the tank. The more maintenance resistant this connection is, the better. For piping, we used to use a welding powder which when set on fire (yeah, I know) would weld the lead to the pipe. That steel was a minimum of 1/4" thick however. Don't think I'd try it on a propane tank.
Another option would be to just test the present anode to see if it needs to be replaced.
If you're dead set on replacing, maybe an anode ROD would be better. A good hammer drill will drive that rod through almost any soil (not rocks).

JohnnyG - thanks for the response. I have no idea where the original bag. Would you agree with this. Install anode bag approximately two to three feet from the middle of the tank and at least as deep as the center line of the tank. Connect it to some place from what comes up from the center of the tank (do not know what it is called). Or do I need to put it under the center of the tank? Thanks.

You need to measure the current condition of the tank. See how it's doing. You can use a normal DMM but need a charged reference electrode and follow the instructions. You cannot just stick one lead of a DMM into the soil.

I had the propane company do the work. The first thing they did after my tank failed the initial test was to put in an insulated fitting in the pipe going to my house. That will force the bag to only protect the tank not the tank and piping. Then retest. Still failed. The guy then installed a new anode bag. I assume he retested but not positive.

I think the charge was $300 or $350.

The charged reference electrode is probably $100.

The anodes are not cheap maybe $300.

Do you have a relationship with a propane company?

Back