PROFANITY in the garage/driveway while wrenching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I almost never use profanity. It's just not me. Even when I hurt myself, or have car problems. So I can't relate.

But I can tell you one thing. If your wife is turned off by the constant stream of colorful language that you use while working on the car, it's worth making an effort to tone it back some. She should be number one in your life.

Happy wife. Happy life.

+1! I used to a lot, especially when I was in the Navy. I like to think as we get older we also get smarter. Just don't see a need for it anymore.

Ever notice how the job seems to go smoother AFTER you've unleashed a string of profanities?
From now on I'm gonna use the profanities at the BEGINNING of the job before I touch anything.
Then hopefully things will go smooth right from the get-go.

j/k

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yep, I do this as well.
Sometimes, the situation just calls for it, like when you put a nice deep gash in the back of your hand that then bleeds freely and profusely.
I favor a heartfelt "son of a (proper term for a female canine that isn't allowed on BITOG)."
I then smile and get back to it. After all, cuts heal and you'll finish the job and feel good about it.
wear gloves, professionals do that,,man up

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
First I was thought not to swear around women and children . And to be aware if they may wander with in ear shot .

If you are all alone & will remain so , swearing is between you and your God .

As far as at an independent garage , you must always control your self , because you never know when a waman & children will walk through the door .

If you are working for some one else , follow public curtsy & your boss's rules .

Now , am I guilty . Sadly , yes . :-(

I try not swear around women and children, but there are some females I work with that can make you blush with their swearing
lol.gif

I think the strongest word I use is "nuts" when injured or something goes sideways. It doesn't really bother me when others use stronger words, except in my home where I remind my now adult children that this is my home and such language is not tolerated in my home.

I cuss like a sailor that used to be a truck driver. It just runs in the family. Probably some of the first words I ever learned from my Dad uncles, and great uncles, were curse words, as they were all railroad workers/engineers/conductors.

I especially let the profanity fly if something goes wrong while wrenching, and it always does. I'm sure my neighbors either think I'm nutz or they laugh their rear ends off!

I'd like to stop as it does sound stupid and ignorant. It's a crutch for dealing with anger.

Speaking of cursing while working on cars, there is a guy on Youtube, Jimthecarguy, who does repair videos, and you can tell he curses like a sailor but he tries to keep in in check while making videos. It's absolutely hysterical when he catches himself and has to start over and re-edit after dropping an f-bomb.
crackmeup2.gif

I've been trying to curse less. I notice in our culture it seems to just be a habit now, at least with my generation (millennials). I was in a store the other day and saw a teenage kid just cursing up a storm in one of the aisles. I was also on a first date with a girl and every word out of her mouth was the F bomb, which started to become unattractive after 15 minutes. I've also noticed when every other word is a curse, it makes people sound uneducated.

I find that the best substitute is making a joke about the situation vs. cursing. Say I'm using a ratchet and my hand slips, hitting something hard. Cursing seems to elevate the frustration. If I make a stupid joke about it, I chuckle a bit and it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back