PROFANITY in the garage/driveway while wrenching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: loneryder
It has been proven that swearing/cursing after hurting yourself reduces the pain. I have found that MF'er works the best.

I admit this is my preferred release phrase. However, I have learned some incredible words and phrases from a retired Master Chief Petty Officer. Impressive does not begin to describe the way he could work colorful words into everyday conversations.

"Thread inspiration: just finished installing one of four supremely cheap Chinese struts on a 90s Toyota that was worth $600 before the job, and will be worth $600 by the time I've spent $1500 on parts and $3000 on labor equivalent time value of money."

So why bother? Why not just spend 2100$ on a better car?

I do agree with you though, cursing is almost mandatory when running into challenges working on a car. I dont exactly say it very loudly though.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
"Thread inspiration: just finished installing one of four supremely cheap Chinese struts on a 90s Toyota that was worth $600 before the job, and will be worth $600 by the time I've spent $1500 on parts and $3000 on labor equivalent time value of money."

So why bother? Why not just spend 2100$ on a better car?

I do agree with you though, cursing is almost mandatory when running into challenges working on a car. I dont exactly say it very loudly though.

Because I originally owned this car for about 6 months, 11 years ago. I gave it to a needy family member. It had given her a decade of faithful and absolutely reliable service. I feel a very strong sense of duty to this car. When I send it off to its forever home, I want it to be healthy and at peak performance once again. So far it's gotten a radiator, timing belt tensioner, brand new OEM steering wheel, nice Bluetooth stereo, oil changes, and a complete inspection to identify all parts that show any signs of wear, and to fix them. It is having new struts installed right now, all new components, new lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, motor mounts, trans filter service, oxygen sensor, EGR valve, VC gaskets, timing belt set, engine seals, bodywork and paint, etc. Brand new brakes, remain calipers with dual piston front caliper upgrade, a set of snow tires for winter, good used seats, windshield resealing, NVH and Rattke shakedown, sound deadening, aftermarket keyless entry, custom remote trunk solenoid, high output but non glare LED lamps everywhere, front and rear dashcam DVR with rear view mirror monitor, tint, , ... I could buy a fixer upper newer Toyota and it would be profitable for me to fix it and sell it on again, but I'm doing this cars restoration for purely sentimental reasons. And I know it is insane. Who gets sentimental about a Toyota Avalon??
Yet it gives me an excuse to get away from my wife for a while every day while I work on it.
Maybe the cherry on top is that Bio-T blessed it when I made a thread about it in 2006.

I swear daily, just natural after spending 22 yrs in the NAVY
cheers3.gif

Only when my wife comes out and wants me to stop what I'm doing and go into the house and do something that can wait.

First I was thought not to swear around women and children . And to be aware if they may wander with in ear shot .

If you are all alone & will remain so , swearing is between you and your God .

As far as at an independent garage , you must always control your self , because you never know when a waman & children will walk through the door .

If you are working for some one else , follow public curtsy & your boss's rules .

Now , am I guilty . Sadly , yes . :-(

It's a bad habit that I also have (cursing).
A few times my daughter taped me (with her phone) after I missed a green light because the clown in front of me was texting and didn't move (or something similar)...when she plays it back they all laugh...but I do realize how ignorant I sound......

Yep, I do this as well.
Sometimes, the situation just calls for it, like when you put a nice deep gash in the back of your hand that then bleeds freely and profusely.
I favor a heartfelt "son of a (proper term for a female canine that isn't allowed on BITOG)."
I then smile and get back to it. After all, cuts heal and you'll finish the job and feel good about it.

I almost never use profanity. It's just not me. Even when I hurt myself, or have car problems. So I can't relate.

But I can tell you one thing. If your wife is turned off by the constant stream of colorful language that you use while working on the car, it's worth making an effort to tone it back some. She should be number one in your life.

Happy wife. Happy life.

I curse while wrenching all the time, I find it a great way to vent. I enjoy combining curses.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
First I was thought not to swear around women and children . And to be aware if they may wander with in ear shot .

I will admit that I have sworn while working on cars. But I don't think I do it very often, and if I do, it would be at the engineers who designed it.
I do have one question to all of you habitual swearers: If there was a female standing right next to you and you wanted to impress her, would you swear?
A few years ago, I actually quit a job because my boss did about a two minute tirade in front of a lady and his tirade included quite a few four-letter words. It showed me how shallow he really was.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I almost never use profanity. It's just not me. Even when I hurt myself, or have car problems. So I can't relate.

But I can tell you one thing. If your wife is turned off by the constant stream of colorful language that you use while working on the car, it's worth making an effort to tone it back some. She should be number one in your life.

Happy wife. Happy life.
oh she thinks it's funny actually.. it just sucks when I'm actually upset about damaging something and she's having a laugh. And I did ham this thread up a little bit. I curse under my breath, not loudly. Unless I hurt myself really badly. So I replaced another strut today and I only cursed maybe three times in two hours. The strut I did last night and this morning was responsible for maybe forty individual incidents of expletives.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
WyrTwister said:
First I was thought not to swear around women and children . And to be aware ifu
I do have one question to all of you habitual swearers: If there was a female standing right next to you and you wanted to impress her, would you swear?
by all means. Many women find my use of profanity to be quite beguiling. When I don't want them to understand My frustration, however, I switch to one of three other languages. I like Russian swears because they are creative, very vulgar in meaning, roll off the tongue, and they sound intimidating too.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
Originally Posted By: loneryder
It has been proven that swearing/cursing after hurting yourself reduces the pain. I have found that MF'er works the best.

I admit this is my preferred release phrase. However, I have learned some incredible words and phrases from a retired Master Chief Petty Officer. Impressive does not begin to describe the way he could work colorful words into everyday conversations.

Haha. Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back