Problem finding conventional 75w90 gl4 gear oil

This is a 1970 Ford differential. GL5 cannot be used as it is harmful to any yellow metal.
Correct. Which is why you should use 80w90, if you want conventional. 80w90 GL4 is not any thicker than 75w90 GL4. The difference exists, but is impossible to notice in 99.6735% of real world situations.
Or check Redline, they have multiple GL-4 offerings. MT-90 being my favorite.

The only 75w90 GL4 available on the shelf of a US store is Liqui Moly 20012. Napa carries it. Search for LM20012
Looks like it's dual rated (GL4/GL5) which opens up majority of gear oils on the shelves as being compatible, since they are dual rated too. Valvoline comes to mind, readily available.

81I2StcCQtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The only non synthetic GL-4 75W90 I've found is that Ravenol TSG 75W90. Other than that you're gonna have to buy full synthetic 75W90 manual transmission fluid like redline MT90.

Is this a passenger car or pickup truck? I'm not aware off any Ford differentials of that era with yellow metals.
Me neither.

I think it would be advantageous for you to review the Operator's manual for that vehicle (which you have not stated) and see if it requires a GL-5.

If it requires a differential fluid of a 90ish grade and a GL-5 rating, then any 75W90 differential fluid will suffice.

Correct. Which is why you should use 80w90, if you want conventional. 80w90 GL4 is not any thicker than 75w90 GL4. The difference exists, but is impossible to notice in 99.6735% of real world situations.
Or check Redline, they have multiple GL-4 offerings. MT-90 being my favorite.
Redline is all synthetic, no conventional

The only non synthetic GL-4 75W90 I've found is that Ravenol TSG 75W90. Other than that you're gonna have to buy full synthetic 75W90 manual transmission fluid like redline MT90.
Yeah, I had my eye on this one.

Here are several options that are either conventional or gl4...you may not be able to find one with both. In the past I used a yellow-metal-safe gl5 for this type of application.

Thanks

As others have stated and what I've found from googling, doesn't look like there's any reason not to use GL-5 in it, I can't find an exact TSB or anything but it appears that Motorcraft 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant is what supersceded the old SAE90 Hypoid fluid and the new Motorcraft fluid is GL-5, It looks like GL4 is probably not needed and any GL-5 75W90, 80W90, 85W90, or SAE90 would work.

A GL-4 does not have the Extreme Pressure (EP) chemistry needed to prevent excessive wear from the high loading in a Hypoid differential.

A GL-5 rated differential fluid in grade 75W90 or 80W90 will more than suffice.

Back