PRO MOTIVE PH 241 CUT OPEN, TORN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off a friends 2010 Dodge Caravan with I believe if memory serves me is 3.3 v-6. He got the filter at AAP and ran some QSGB 5w30 with it. He keeps a log and this combo has 2,8xx miles on it as he didn't drive the van much since he bought a RAM pickup last month. I put a Tough Guard 3614 and some ST 5w30 in and on. Van has over 170k on it and not too rusty. Enjoy the pics

Purolator quality is NOT job #1 it's the LEAST of their priorities. Paper piece in can is part of media as well as it's not carbon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really amazes me that Purolator can make such garbage yet the FL910S also made by them always looks so good. I'm anxious to see how the no name Rock Auto Ultra Power brand filter of this same size holds up after 2x the mileage of this filter on the Lexus. My Napa Gold filter is still in place on the 4Runner with no in service issues to report.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
It really amazes me that Purolator can make such garbage yet the FL910S also made by them always looks so good. I'm anxious to see how the no name Rock Auto Ultra Power brand filter of this same size holds up after 2x the mileage of this filter on the Lexus. My Napa Gold filter is still in place on the 4Runner with no in service issues to report.

What's sadder is when member Texan4Life sent them his tore filter they lied to him with a "canned message".

Kinda has me on fence whether risk using the Bosch Distance +

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The distance plus is safe.

Good to know, as I'll probably go 2 516k oci's with it and then cut it
smile.gif

Thanks again 901Memphis
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

Very different media.

I have enough to last 20 years after walmart clearanced them down to $3.00!

D+ is the only Purolator I will use. Don't know why they can make 1 filter line well, and screw up on everything else.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

D+ is the only Purolator I will use. Don't know why they can make 1 filter line well, and screw up on everything else.

Bosch probably sets the specifications on the materials, the filter and they probably monitor the lines making Bosch filters. They might have performance clauses in the contracts too. Bosch likely makes routine audits on the factory.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Bosch probably sets the specifications on the materials, the filter and they probably monitor the lines making Bosch filters. They might have performance clauses in the contracts too. Bosch likely makes routine audits on the factory.

Yeah, but you would think that "media that does not readily tear" would be a spec all would want.
21.gif

Yeah, but you would think that "media that does not readily tear" would be a spec all would want.
21.gif

Yes, all should want to use a filter made with media that does not tear. However, some folks are buying based on price only for example some quick lube places. The average person is clueless about the quality and reliability of the oil filters they are using. As long as engines are not grenading due to tearing filters then Purolator is relatively safe and conducts business as usual. Strange behavior on Purolator's part if you ask me.

Bosch filters have torn also, so I have my doubts routine audits are being conducted.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Bosch filters have torn also, so I have my doubts routine audits are being conducted.

Bosch offers 3 grades of filters:
DistancePlus Oil Filters (top of the line), Premium Oil Filters (middle grade) and the Workshop Oil Filters (basic).

Only a few issues with DistancePlus have been reported. None of them were tear related. I found 3-4 reports of tear issues with the Premium. These look the same as P1 issues. The workshop filter has a few reports of problems too. The workshop filter appears to be a rebadged Puro Classic.

I blame M&H for the QC plummet on Purolator filters after reading Gordy's article a few steps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back