PRNDL on its way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Back when the base transmission in most cars was a manual shift, the switch from a floor shifter to a column shifter was considered to be a nice upgrade.

As I remember, almost all cars had a column shifter back then whether it was automatic or three on the tree. When the Japanese imports started coming in, they had the shifter on the floor/center console. That spurred the change there. The other big change spurred by the Japanese cars was the headlight stalk on the column. American cars had that on the dashboard with the pull knob. Halfway out was the parking lights. All the way out were the headlights. The high beams were controlled by the floor button operated by the foot. Also, the parking/emergency brake handle changed that method from the pull handle under the dash or the foot operated pedal.

So, credit the imports, Japanese and European, for changes in those areas plus others.

When you're being forced back in the seat accelerating, its awkward to reach up to a dash to sequentially shift. A knob on a console just doesn't seem right either. What I like are the paddle wheel shifters mounted on the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Car manufacturers have lots of solutions for problems you never knew you had. They also have things you don't need but will have to maintain in the future. Just pay attention and get ready for the next can't live without feature that's coming your way.

It's just more built-in obsolescence...the parts will go bad, and the manufacturer will quit making the replacement parts so the vehicle will be rendered completely useless, at which point the owner will have no choice but to replace the vehicle...welcome to today...

Last edited:
Column shifts go with bench seats. My dad has a 3-on-the-tree in his 40 ford coupe and a bench to go with it with room for three across.

The last 3 on the tree sold in america was a pickup truck in the late 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back