Print server spooler service

Status
Not open for further replies.
operation could not be completed. Print server spooler not running.

I now hate not only Vista but XP too. I have no idea why, but all of a sudden I can't get the printer to work, I can't get the driver to install or it is installed but not working, no diagnostics work or will do anything, no printer shows up in the control panel for printers and faxes and every time I try to add a printer I get the stupid message. I checked MSNOT's noknowledge base and it wants me to modify the registry and it looks pretty complicated(at least to me).
This sucks so bad...

I have tried restoring to a previous date too and that didn't help either. I tried unplugging the printer and replugging it, rebooting, blah, blah, blah...nothing works.

You are seeing nothing in the Printer section of the Control Panel because the Print Spooler service is not running.

Go to Start -> Run -> services.msc

Find the Print Spooler service and make sure it's set to automatic and it is started.

You didn't mention trying this, so I apologize if you already tried.

Ok, thanks for your suggestion. I was optimistic when I read your post. I tried it and got the error message: Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Too bad I'm not a programmer, I would probably be able to figure this out. I hope I don't have to restore the whole operating system. Wow, this stinks.

Remove third party printer processors. Often times printer mfr's install their own print processors and change the default process from Winprint Raw to whatever. Reboot in safe mode, try to see if you can force the print processor to use the standard winprint Raw combo then reboot. If not, uninstall the driver and you have to manually remove the print processor(s) in question.

How do you force the print processor to use the standard winprint raw combo? How do you uninstall the driver and manually remove the print processor? Everything worked before, I don't understand this at all...

I have Vista, but when I check the properties of the Print Spooler, I find there are no dependencies for that service. However, on my wife's XP computer, it shows Remote Procedure Call (RPC) as a necessary dependency. Make sure that service is set to Automatic and is started.

One more thing to look at is this. Go to Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Services tab. Do you see several things unchecked? If so, click "Enable all" then restart and test it.

If everything appears perfect, try ToyotaNSaturn's method. If still nothing then re-install all printers without installing all that bulls*** printer software. Sometimes those interfere with the Windows Print Spooler.

You can manually install the driver by going into the Device Manager, and right click on the "Other" devices (which should be your printers after you uninstall them) and select Update Driver. Then you say you don't want to use Windows Update, then update from Specific location, then check the box to browse the location and point it into the folder that contains the driver (it's usually labeled on the CD or downloaded bundle).

Hope this helps.

To change the print processor, which requires the spooler running, you'll need to go into safe mode. Go into the printer's properties Advanced tab & click on the Print Processor button and change it to Winprint Raw. Reboot.

Uninstall & reinstall the drivers.

I don't understand this stuff either. We had a Windows print server with 350 users & 100 printers humming along fine for months when suddenly all the printers disappeared (spooler stopped running). We nailed it down to errant HP software than installed it's own Print Processor (I loathe HP as a printer company, could you tell?)

The universal HP driver was horse feces. 4, count 'em 4 Servers (well, VM instances) later we finally got the spooler stabilized.

The bottom line for us is not to have a print server that uses Windows, linux or netware iPrint are the two best options. The Windows Explorer is the where all these software pieces plug in to. Removing Explorer from the table greatly increases print stability.

Hopefully a GUI-less Windows 2008 server can be added to the list of Explorer-less options.

when I run msconfig it shows the print spooler stopped and the remote procedure call(RPC) which it lists as essential STOPPPED.

I'm beginning to think that the only way I'm going to fix this problem without external intervention from someone very smart who knows the windows system down to the bones is by reinstalling XP. That's a pain in the butt and is going to take me hours and hours by the time I archive stuff and reinstall windows, but it may be the only way.

Are those two services checked or unchecked in msconfig?

And did you have any luck by trying to start the RPC service, followed by the Print Spooler service in services.msc?

I am pleased to report that my printer is now working. I used the original driver disk that came with the printer and it installed and then miraculously started working like nothing was ever wrong.

This boondoggle was extremely frustrating and as far as I can tell the culprit was the most recent driver that I downloaded from Lexmark. I have always tried to keep current and always install all updates and new patches, drivers etc. in the belief that new or updated software is improved and has fewer bugs etc.

I would like to thank all of you who attemted to help me in my time of need and frustration. This is a great place and there are a lot of very nice and very good people here, I appreciate your suggestions and help, THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back