Primewell Recalls 400,000 Tires in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
They bought cheap off brand imported tires and got what they deserved:
7a419_haha-nelson.jpg

Very nice...

Reading a lot into the announcement .......

I'll bet the cracks have nothing to do with aging cracks. I'll bet there was a different kind of problem - one that could result in an actual failure.

But then again, maybe not. I've seen tires fail the DOT test where the "failure" was more of a cosmetic condition than a structural one.

Tire Recalls?

The company decides how they are going to deal with replacing the tires. Sometimes they replace with the exact same tire - only outside the age range. Sometimes they allow any brand to be applied. According to the announcement, they will tell the world on July 20.

Had a set of Primewell PS860s on my 1994 Silverado. No complaints about the tires. Never rotated them and got over the 40K they were rated for. Got them from Firestone.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
They bought cheap off brand imported tires and got what they deserved:
7a419_haha-nelson.jpg

not cool, man
31.gif

Cheap tires are low quality, but wishing someone to get hurt or killed isn't any better. And even expensive Michelins have been recalled before.

I called my local firestone in Hutto, Texas yesterday.

Set an appointment for next week for the tire replacement.

The girl answering the phone advised that I would get a set of firestone tires for the replacements.

Which is interesting because they also stock primewells.

Not a huge fan of firestone tires but for free on an ecomony car, we will take it and be thankful.

I'll say this - I don't recommend Primewell to anyone(or any Chinese tire, unless they were dirt cheap), but I've seen them installed on lots of fleets and they seem to run them down to the treads.

Depending on the model, I might choose a Primewell, GT Radial or other Giti tire over a Firestone if the choice was very limited. I would say a dirt cheap Chinese tire is exactly the way you don't want to go versus a name brand that's made in China. I had a set of Hankooks that were made in China that were among the best tires I've owned.

Had my wife's Scion in to Firestone today to get the recall tires replaced.

Talked to the tech he said we were the first ones to get the recall done.

Told me that their corporate sent out a letter that they were to replace primewell recall tires with "1 grade better" series of tires than what was purchased.

We had a H rated touring tire, over half worn.

He replaced the tires with W Rated Primewell Valera Sport AS tires.

Overkill on speed rating for a Scion but they are very quiet and handle nicely.

Neither of our primewells were made in china.

I think the new ones are Malaysia, or Thailand I forget. Reminds me a lot of a Falken tire.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/brands/primewell/valerasportas/

Not something I would buy, but we will take it for free.

I like the tread design better. The cheap Primewell and the better one both have the same mileage rating of 40k. Too bad they didn't upgrade to a Firestone tire. But that wouldn't bode too well for the Primewell brand.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Told me that their corporate sent out a letter that they were to replace primewell recall tires with "1 grade better" series of tires than what was purchased.

I think the new ones are Malaysia, or Thailand I forget. Reminds me a lot of a Falken tire.

Didn't have to repay for anything? Surprised they'd give road hazard for free. Haven't received anything I'll stop by this week.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Didn't have to repay for anything? Surprised they'd give road hazard for free. Haven't received anything I'll stop by this week.

We bought the car used with a glovebox of repair receipts from Firestone. Didn't pay a cent.

Primewell has a phone number listed online where you can call for more information. They were actually pretty friendly, their call center is based in California.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
They are a budget brand in the UK.

If memory serves they are Made in China but have R&D in the USA and Europe.

Can't say i would ever consider buying them but wouldn't throw them away if they were on a used car unless they proved to be less than brilliant.

Wouldn't even consider buying a used car fitted with Primewells, amongst others. If you're cheaping out on tires, where else are you cutting corners in maintenance?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

We bought the car used with a glovebox of repair receipts from Firestone. Didn't pay a cent.

Primewell has a phone number listed online where you can call for more information. They were actually pretty friendly, their call center is based in California.

Appointment is made for Saturday. Their replacing with FR710's. So go from 50k tires to 65k and got 3k for free, the back probably has 4k. I must of got a old set from storage. One thing for certain the FR710's will most likely be the last tire the old car has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back