Pricing of OEM Toyota/ Lexus parts in the Seattle (Tacoma) area- local practice of new nationwide trend?

Ordering through Toyota website
My local Toyota dealer in Northern NJ was charging 40% above MSRP for oil filters, air filter, and Cabin filter.
I declined the offer and purchased the aforementioned online for a healthy discount off MSRP. I don't mind paying MSRP to support the local business, but l have my limits.
I'm in NJ, which dealer is doing this?
There was a Lexus dealer on Route 17 (Ramsey maybe) that had better pricing on parts than I could get locally.
Wasn't worth the trip for me however.

Edit:

04152YZZA1​
$ 4.53​
Engine Oil Filter Element

Ordered through website: $4.53. Walk in the door price: $5.97.
Walmart pricing for same Toyota filter: $ 7.54.

Last edited:

parts.toyota.com has made those sites obsolete.

Parts matrix is a thing and it is taught as proper practice by all the consulting companies, even manufacturers. It is usually done on a sliding scale where lets say a $1 washer is sold for $3.50 but a $5000 transmission is sold at $5300ish. FWIW I don't play the matrix game, I'm too busy to keep track of it so everything is done at MSRP.

As far as allocation of resources, that is 100% accurate. We have 3 people in my department including me and a driver. Last month we did around $410K in sales, of that 257K was to our service department, and 126K to wholesale. Myself and a counterperson with 6ish years experience work the back counter and my vew green/new kid with 6 months experience does the front counter. Company policy is the let the phones sit on hold while we help technicians since our labor rate is $180/hr and their time waiting is more valuable. Its not that we ignore wholesale or retail, its that we make more money selling to our shop, especially for warranty work.

parts.toyota.com has made those sites obsolete.
Sparks is cheaper even with shipping differences...

Sparks is cheaper...

Each dealer sets their own pricing. Some are msrp, some are 30%+ off.

Enter your zipcode and check the 10 dealers closest to you.

If you use the freeship coupon, shipping charges of up to $200 is also free.

Edit: Just an example

1682719855998.jpg

Wondering if others are seeing this practice in their local area? I have never seen this before.

yes, but with different franchised outlets in the auto trade... which is the reason some dealerships are referred to as "stealerships"... so it is Caveat Emptor in this case... but you have google and the internet to let you bypass the local franchisee if so you choose. :)

I have been ordering from Park Place Lexus Plano dot com, it is based in Plano TX (Dallas area).
They have been offering free shipping but I am not sure when it is expired.
I have the option of pick up since I am local but I have been letting them ship it to me for free.

300% is pretty substantial, but perhaps there’s a shortage?

A lady rear ended me in our 4R last year when it had 700 miles on it. Minor damage, but needed a new bumper. I wanted new OE. It just got fixed last week.

Yes, but less and less deals/ competition every day.
Definitely more scams - dealers charging over MSRP, and counterfeit parts online. Not to mention supply shortages. I have been waiting for a TB gasket from Nissan for 2 months. Not even sure I need it but I have a small project so I wanted to have all of them before I started. Guess I will get aftermarket which does seem to be available.

There are still discounts online, and you have lots of places to choose from. Also RA and all the other parts retailers are online now - your choice used to be whatever store was in your town.

Its still certainly better than 20 years ago.

Definitely more scams - dealers charging over MSRP, and counterfeit parts online. Not to mention supply shortages. I have been waiting for a TB gasket from Nissan for 2 months. Not even sure I need it but I have a small project so I wanted to have all of them before I started. Guess I will get aftermarket which does seem to be available.

There are still discounts online, and you have lots of places to choose from. Also RA and all the other parts retailers are online now - your choice used to be whatever store was in your town.

Its still certainly better than 20 years ago.
I remember being a kid and going to the local auto parts store. It was ACME (yes the counter guy wore a coyote costume—not). I seem to recall Bap Geon posters and remarking how the ladies in the posters were gifted. My dad would say commercial or something and 20% came off instantly.

This happened to me around 2012 at Graybar and reminded me of those days between

Ps it’d be curious if anyone knows what happened to parts dot com. I ordered door caps for a Lexus down to the color moonlight Pearl, a dealer in CA who offered 10% to forum members fulfilled it, and I got 30%+. And they had every make of car. Too bad they no longer exist

Yeah, this has become complete insanity...one main reason I won't buy a new vehicle, mainly Toyota, Lexus, Honda.

Back