Pressure washer engine preference?

My area seems to be plentiful on used pressure washers well under $200. I have an electric 1800PSI 1.2GPM already but wanting something with more power to do some cleanup on loose paint around the house trim. General consensus seems to be "get one with a honda engine". Are Kohler or Briggs any good? I'm looking at picking up a Simpson 3300PSI tonight if all goes well. It has a Honda engine. I have to drive a bit to get it and there are cheaper 3000+ PSI models a lot closer with Briggs and Kohler engines.

The pressure motor brand doesn't really matter.
It is the pump that's important. That is the part that is more likely to give up the ghost.
I'm on my fourth gas powered pressure washer. When all three went POOF!, the pump was the offending part.
Having said all that, I would stay away from a Subaru motor. They are more than a tad bit finicky.

being used the engine make wouldn't matter, I would also have concern for the pump. that's all a gamble like playing Russian roulette with 5 in the cylinder. I would ask for a running demonstration of both before pulling the trigger.

being used the engine make wouldn't matter, I would also have concern for the pump. that's all a gamble like playing Russian roulette with 5 in the cylinder. I would ask for a running demonstration of both before pulling the trigger.

Of course, it is the pump that is of the most importance.
That is why there are so many gas powered pressure washers in yard sales, and other sales sites being sold for the gas motor because the pump is bad on them.
Now, it might be fair to assume that since a Honda engine is generally considered an upgrade over the usual fare, that perhaps the pump in the unit received the same consideration and been paired appropriately.
However, I would call it an assumption unless validly verified.
The pump should still be the primary consideration.

cat-gearbox-pump-1__01947.1600784613.jpg

I've had a Simpson with the Honda GC190 for 6 years. No issues, runs like a champ. My electric gets most duties but I started with only the Simpson so it did cars and everything for at least 4 years. They are good units. Put an oil drain hose on the engine if you buy the one you are looking at...makes life much easier doing the drains.

Engine doesn't matter anymore. A Chonda carb will corrode just as fast as a Honda one will. If it got ran without oil they all die.

The pumps kinda matter but they all go bad if you don't take care of them. Rebuilding a name brand pump isn't much cheaper or not at all as a replacement name brand pump.

My gas "All Power America" brand 3100psi, 2.6gpm with a Chonda has more power than I need. It runs really sweet and fires up in one pull. You can idle it down to a super low put-put or full beans in an instant. It has your standard cheapy chinese pump, but you can change the oil on the pump and replacement pumps are cheap.

The problem with gas powered residential and light commercial grade units is, you shouldn't leave them running when you're not spraying water. The pumps get hot in bypass mode. This isn't an issue with electric, because they shut off as soon as you let off the trigger. For things like washing cars and general cleaning duties, I like my SunJoe electric for this very reason.

The pressure motor brand doesn't really matter.
It is the pump that's important. That is the part that is more likely to give up the ghost.
I'm on my fourth gas powered pressure washer. When all three went POOF!, the pump was the offending part.
Having said all that, I would stay away from a Subaru motor. They are more than a tad bit finicky.
While the pump certainly is important, don't under estimate the importance of the engine. I tend to avoid the Briggs Inteks, cheaper Kohlers, and Chinese Honda clones. The Subarus I only see occasionally, they can be decent engines but the parts are very expensive and hard to find.

A Honda GX or GC would be my preferred pick, or Briggs Vanguard. I know everyone loves Cat pumps, but the pressure washers that usually have them are $$$$, and not really needed for a homeowner. My personal pressure washer is a Honda GCV190 with a cheap vertical pump. My parents bought it new in 1998, and I replaced the pump 3 years ago for $100. Not bad for how much use it has seen. With the cheap pumps use clean water, clean oil, and good winter storage will make them last.

While the pump certainly is important, don't under estimate the importance of the engine. I tend to avoid the Briggs Inteks, cheaper Kohlers, and Chinese Honda clones. The Subarus I only see occasionally, they can be decent engines but the parts are very expensive and hard to find.

My point is that looking at it from the perspective of which part has the most potential to go bad first in a pressure washer, it has to be the pump.
In my own personal experience, I have owned four homeowner grade units:
1. A Craftsman with a Tecumseh motor in it. The Tecumseh ran flawlessly before and after the pump went.
2. A Campbell Hausfeld with a Briggs in it. The Briggs ran flawlessly before and after the pump went.
3. A Troy Bilt with a Briggs in it. The Briggs ran flawlessly before and after the pump went. (In the 12 years I had it, I did have to clean the carb once.)
4. The Costco special that I now have with the Subaru. No issues to date.
These units were prepped properly post use every time, including use of pump saver, and stored properly every time. Other than the carb cleaning on #2, there was never a issue with any of the motors involving any kind of repair or parts. Oil was changed on all units as needed.
#'s 1 and 2 were sold and were purchased for the motors. #3 is currently in my shed. It will probably eventually experience a similar outcome.
That's why I say that the pump is probably the most important consideration. IMO, it is the "Weak link." They are basically expendable. While I certainly appreciate a decent quality engine (and I am far from being a Briggs fanboi,) the motor in these units are more than likely going to outlast the pump. That's why I say that the motor should not really a huge, or sole, factor in these units.
In any piece of equipment that deals with transporting water (even if not at any pressure,) it's about the pump (and the quality of it.)

Reactions: JTK
I know everyone loves Cat pumps, but the pressure washers that usually have them are $$$$, and not really needed for a homeowner.
I beg to differ. Some of us pressure wash our roof, fence, house, driveway, patio and so on. I'm going on 20 years with the Honda/Cat combo. It really is nice not to have to deal with repairs every few years.

My previous pressure washer was a Briggs powered unit with an AR pump. A non stop battle. Replaced the pump 3 times, the unloader valve a bunch of times, and then the engine went, on a good pump. Gave it away. The new owner struggled with it and then put it out for the trashman.

Well I picked up that Simpson 3300psi for $175 today. Fires up first pull, no leaks, tons more powerful than the electric I have. Seems that pump would be stupid easy to replace if need be down the road.
1712528034748.jpeg

I beg to differ. Some of us pressure wash our roof, fence, house, driveway, patio and so on. I'm going on 20 years with the Honda/Cat combo. It really is nice not to have to deal with repairs every few years.

My previous pressure washer was a Briggs powered unit with an AR pump. A non stop battle. Replaced the pump 3 times, the unloader valve a bunch of times, and then the engine went, on a good pump. Gave it away. The new owner struggled with it and then put it out for the trashman.
Oh it's definitely worth getting the better pump if you can justify it and will be using it a lot.

Reactions: JTK
I have an old Craftsman with a B&S motor and that is what is wrong with it. Poor gas tank/carb design that allows water to accumulate in the bottom of the tank when using E10 gas. No way to completely drain. Never had a problem once running though. I ended up getting a new Simpson a couple years ago.

Now it's time for quick connect fittings, more flexible hose and an oil drain tube.
Already have quick connects. Might have to buy more since I have them on my electric as well. New hose is on the way. I ordered an Adams 40' with 20% coupon. What does an oil drain tube do? I already changed oil since who knows what previous owner had in it. Just used some leftover Kirkland 5w30 and I used an extraction syringe.

Back