Prep for long-distance scooter ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put some 15w-40 Rotella in it and ride. When do you plan on doing the ride? I hope to do a SS1000 next summer on my Shadow 750. You better make sure JimVegas isn't correct about them not certifying unless you have a 250cc or bigger. Even though you would know you did it, it would suck if they wouldn't accept your ride.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
You're going to need a couple of spare tires and tools to change it out with. Get a smaller mirror to cut down on the road noise and drag. Replace the headlight bulb with a higher wattage one for night driving. If you hit a pot hole with those small tires you are going to flip.

Installing and balancing a tubeless tire is a bit beyond my means. I think I'll stick with a patch kit, and be ready to abandon the attempt if I hit a nail and the hole won't stay patched.

The bike's limited electrical system is likely to limit any increase in headlight brightness. The stock light is plenty bright, particularly with the high-beams. The chase car's headlights reach even further, and they won't be far behind.

The tires are indeed small, and avoiding potholes is important, but I've been lucky to avoid any major potholes -- the wheels seem to glide over the smaller ones with only a bit of jarring

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I'd put some 15w-40 Rotella in it and ride. When do you plan on doing the ride? I hope to do a SS1000 next summer on my Shadow 750. You better make sure JimVegas isn't correct about them not certifying unless you have a 250cc or bigger. Even though you would know you did it, it would suck if they wouldn't accept your ride.

How do you like the Shadow? I've been thinking of eventually getting a "real" motorcycle, particularly for daily commuting, fun, and general transportation. The Shadow's been near the top of my list.

I love my Shadow. I actually upgraded just this past summer (2009) from a Honda Helix 250 scooter. I know what it is like to go from a scooter to a "real" motorcycle because I rode the Helix for 5 years before moving on. I put 5000 miles on my Shadow this past summer and enjoyed every single one! Mine is the Aero version which has more sweeping fenders and such for a more classic look instead of a sporty look. I call it my Honda Road King.
thumbsup2.gif

The Helix
MyHelix.jpg

The Shadow Aero
SSPX0125.jpg

Manual suggests a 15W40 and 1,200 mile intervals and you're going 1000 miles ?

Delo 400 15W40, Rotella 15W40, Delvac 15W40, or any of the other brand name HDEOs.....But these are my favorites...

I'd have the chase car lead at night. Headlights behind me I find more irritating than chasing dim red taillights.

As said above, ditch a rear view mirror. If you need two legally, maybe a dentist mirror would do.
wink.gif

I would worry about wrist nerve damage or tingly fingers, but you've gone 100 miles and know how buzzy the thing is. Gel gloves etc can cut down on that.

I have always maintained my motorcycles to be able to get on and go at least 2000 miles without notice. This is because the best rides I have gone on are the unplanned ones. Dump some Rotella 15w40 in that thing and over fill it just a bit and go.

Dress for the weather and carry a rain suit, cell phone and credit card and if you have a CCW then don't forget a snub nose .38. A Walther PPK .380 will fit nicely in your pocket as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
...if you have a CCW then don't forget a snub nose .38. A Walther PPK .380 will fit nicely in your pocket as well.

Since he's planning on crossing a state line, I'd advise against this. Unless he's well versed on the laws, this could result in him ending up in a world of "you know what"...

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When do you plan on doing this ride?

Depends on weather. Probably sometime in the spring, with a possible test run in January. I'd rather deal with a bit of cool weather than roasting hot sun.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Since he's planning on crossing a state line, I'd advise against this. Unless he's well versed on the laws, this could result in him ending up in a world of "you know what"...

Both Arizona and New Mexico are both open-carry states, so that's not an issue. I'm also a Glock guy. :)

agree. Since he will be having a chase car, I dont think he will have to really worry about packing heat

I love the BITOG community. Here we have a guy who is going for it, and we're all jumping in to help like he's our best friend in the world. NEAT! I love you people!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Suggestion: Can the board supply him with some kind of garment, or vest, or stickers promoting BITOG? I think it would be great, if he's interested, to have our name "out there". You know, it's gonna be big news when he finishes.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: jimvegas

Also, do you plan on submitting the ride to the iron butt assoc?
I think they only certify 250cc and up anymore. Before the rule change, a guy did it on a Yamaha YSR50!!

I did some more reading on the website and I no longer see any rule on the under 250cc limit. At one time I'm sure there was, only because a few years ago I was thinking about doing it on my old YSR50. I did a google search and can no longer find the article about the guy who did it on the YSR, a shame as it was a good read.

Looks like I was wrong.
Best of luck!

Oh I have no doubt the bike can do it. It's all about the endurance of the rider. The bike is a machine and machines don't really get tired. As long as the thing has oil and can keep cool, it'll go forever.

Back in 1995, someone did the Iron Butt Rally (essentially 11,000 miles in 11 days) on a 250cc Honda Helix scooter like the one I pictured.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/1995.cfm?DocID=3

Last edited:
You can always put high speed Slime or EZ Seal in your tires to seal up punctures. i use it in my KLR650. It also acts as a wheel balancer as well.

TIP: Turn key, start engine, put in gear, twist throttle, let out clutch and ride already. You will figure the rest out as you go on your trip.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
You can always put high speed Slime or EZ Seal in your tires to seal up punctures. i use it in my KLR650. It also acts as a wheel balancer as well.

Sounds like a plan. I was a bit worried, as most of the Slime I've seen in the store says that it's not to be used over 45mph. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right stuff.

Personally I avoid putting slime in tires. Tried in on a bicycle once, the tire was noticeably heavier and it seemed just a bit sluggish. What is worse is that slime is only good for tiny leaks, needle-sized punctures. Anything bigger and the slime may slow the leak but it won't fix it. If I had a chase car and was worried about flats, I think I'd just pack some fix-a-flat if I didn't want to handle the full repair.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back