pre-soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last oil change on an expedition where the filter is straight up I decided to top off the filter before installation. Well, I didnt get it completely full since it would soak so slow, but when I fired it up, the oil pressure only dipped for a brief moment.

Do ya'll do this or simply install them dry?

I just start it up. The filer on my vehicle is so small that I really don't see how it would help me, but with a bigger filter I can see the benefits.

I haven't done it for years. Nothing wrong with it
21.gif
I'm just too lazy or my filters are horizontal....or you need to tip them around too much to get them to the mount. My wrench buddy just bumps the engine over for a couple of seconds before allowing it to start; the theory being that it's under no combustion load while turning over.

The filters that are mounted right side up I fill, the ones that are mounted horizontally or upside down, I don't. Does it help? Well I guess it's like giving a dead man an enema, it might not help, but it for dang sure ain't going to hurt anything.

Years ago, I was told that if you installed a filter dry, when you started the engine the hydraullic surge through the filter could cause the filter media to fail. Ever happen to me? Not that I know of.

I always fill the filter except on my old Celica that had it mounted upside down. The TL is nearly vertical. The Buick I fill 3/4 of the way or I end up dumping oil all over the place. It makes a noticable difference in how long it takes to get pressure but the 3.8L was known for it's weak oil system. I always lube the gasket and I'm always able to get the filter off without a wrench.

upside down can't pre fill.

on the ford 7.3 PS I add 2 quarts to the filter then spin that sob on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back