PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people will say pennzoil seems to run quieter than M1. It does in my vehicles. As far as protection, in the same grade, you will never notice a difference. Sopus vs XOM is a matter of which can be found cheaper. Cant go wrong with Wix either!

PP was the second most used oil here last year, M1 was first, according to Post your Oil Change thread.
Just to give you an idea on popularity. I'll let the expert comment on the rest of the stats.

I ran M1 for the longest time and recently switched over the Pennzoil. Although I'm running PU, it is definitely quieter than M1. My gas mileage has also improved a smidgen. Pennzoil is good stuff in my book
thumbsup2.gif

following SN standard, many oils perform similarly in same class ( dino , vs full synth )

Penzoil has better reputation at cleaning , but beside that theyre both great oils! whichever is cheaper buy that.

I personlay would choose PP over mobil1.

Originally Posted By: beadvised
What is the Moly like compared to PYB?
if you search you can find a lot of your answers. You will have as much info you want.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
following SN standard, many oils perform similarly in same class ( dino , vs full synth )

Penzoil has better reputation at cleaning , but beside that theyre both great oils! whichever is cheaper buy that.

A better "rep" or just better advertising? Remember those PP and PU claims are only for 5w30 NOT their whole line.

All I know is this. I ran M1 10w30 gold cap in one of my evos for 40k miles and when I pulled the valve cover off to install race cams this is how it looked.

Evo 9 with 40k miles
]evo 9 head[/url]

That motor was on a track almost every weekend. Granted it's not showing the block but the head looks pretty darn clean to me.

Seems M1 is the oil everyone tries to beat. Must be a reason for that.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

A better "rep" or just better advertising? Remember those PP and PU claims are only for 5w30 NOT their whole line.

All I know is this. I ran M1 10w30 gold cap in one of my evos for 40k miles and when I pulled the valve cover off to install race cams this is how it looked.

Evo 9 with 40k miles
]evo 9 head[/url]

That motor was on a track almost every weekend. Granted it's not showing the block but the head looks pretty darn clean to me.

Jeff

That is clean indeed. Thanks for sharing that image.

What year was that picture taken? Wow. What kind of OCI? Beautiful engine!

I thought it was the other way around? Go figure. lol

From the looks of the pictures Mobil 1 does a fantastic job at keeping a clean engine clean.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

Evo 9 with 40k miles
]evo 9 head[/url]

Jeff

This pic was taken in 2010 I used M1 10w30 (factory fill) gold cap and changed it every 3k miles due to the track use the car saw and it was also my daily driver.

After the race cam install I ran RL 5w30 for its high moly to help with the high loads the cams/valve springs would bring. Even though it was a roller rocker set up. .I felt more zddp would be needed in this case. M1 served this engine well and was factory fill in every Lancer Evolution.

That is why I use M1 0w40 in my GTI with confidence.

Jeff

Last edited:

Evo 9 with 40k miles
]evo 9 head[/url]

Jeff

That is filthy...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

Evo 9 with 40k miles
]evo 9 head[/url]

Jeff

This pic was taken in 2010 I used M1 10w30 (factory fill) gold cap and changed it every 3k miles due to the track use the car saw and it was also my daily driver.

After the race cam install I ran RL 5w30 for its high moly to help with the high loads the cams/valve springs would bring. Even though it was a roller rocker set up. .I felt more zddp would be needed in this case. M1 served this engine well and was factory fill in every Lancer Evolution.

That is why I use M1 0w40 in my GTI with confidence.

Jeff

I know a guy that drag races a 1970 Chevelle that has a very large engine. Can't remember the cu. He runs Mobil 1 10/30 and has great results. By the way, The engine pushes close to 900 hp on the engine dino.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Yep looks like a 40k mile engine should.
thumbsup2.gif

On a normal driven engine. Add track days to the mix it's hard to say.

I mean, M1 takes allot of hits from other companies. Seems they shoot for M1 as a benchmark for quality of big companies.

Every Brand has its stars and such. M1 is readily available, good price (especially in 5 qt jugs at WallyWorld) and it meets allot of specs.

I feel the M1 I have in my car right now is a very good oil. Sure there me be something "better" and that word is VERY SUBJECTIVE especially on this site, but having to order an oil? have it shipped? Or just paying lets say 25% more for something else in "hopes" it nets what more HP? Or less wear?

I feel if a vehicle is maintained well, even if you use WallyWorld Super Tech Synthetic and change it regularly you will have a clean engine that will run for years and years. The Key is just maintenance.

In all 4 of the Lancer Evo's that I owned over the years, I used M1 in all of them. 2 of the 4 were at the track REGULARLY and when the mods were pushing HP up, or when using alternative fuels (E85, WMI) I would run RP 10w40 XPR, running pump gas on modified engine I ran RL 5w30 to meet the demand.

One Evo I had making around 400hp, while on the dyno with M1 the oil temps got around 110C. Switching to RL 5w30 they dropped to around 95-100C and on a track with a car running a turbo (even with an oil cooler of which the Evo did have) its important to keep your oil temps in check.

I use M1 with confidence, especially on a bone stock motor and know it will keep my engine clean, meets the specs I need and is had at almost any store in town.

Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back