Powerstroke 6.7: Following the OLM for OCIs, is this taboo?

I don’t drive my truck but the weekends, so it’s low mileage since I’ve owned it. I’ve always followed the OLM as per the owners manual, is this incorrect? I’m having second guesses as it seems like a lot longer than most recommend. But I’m doing as the manuals states so I’m kinda lost at what to do. Thoughts?

I’m running T6 and a factory filter, not the at it matters just to fill context.

I'd say if you don't really go all that many miles per year
just change the oil once a year..

what does Ford recommend the oil change interval to be on a 6.7 PS?

I'd say if you don't really go all that many miles per year
just change the oil once a year..

what does Ford recommend the oil change interval to be on a 6.7 PS?
It’s a lot more than I’m driving in that year lol. It’s about once a year, I think it works out to be. I keep records, I’ll have to checn

The issue I had with mine was fuel dilution especially in the winter months and going by the iOLM would have the dilution percentage above 5%.

YMMV

Per the manual, the 6.7 engine comes with an "intelligent" oil life monitor. In other words, it's not just based on time/mileage like the one on the gas trucks.

Mine fell 25% in about 2,000 miles since the last change. I occasionally tow, and most of my time is a 50/50 split of city/highway without a trailer. Seems like the OLM does a pretty good job to me. I'll end up changing oil every 7,500 miles roughly.

Per the manual, the 6.7 engine comes with an "intelligent" oil life monitor. In other words, it's not just based on time/mileage like the one on the gas trucks.

Mine fell 25% in about 2,000 miles since the last change. I occasionally tow, and most of my time is a 50/50 split of city/highway without a trailer. Seems like the OLM does a pretty good job to me. I'll end up changing oil every 7,500 miles roughly.

Hmm? Ford has had IOLMs for years now across gas vehicles as well.

Sadly, from my experience, it is not "intelligent" enough to compensate for fuel dilution that happens when you short trip a Powerstroke (especially in the winter).

You might be giving the “intelligent” monitor too much credit.

They say the same thing in the manual for the gas trucks btw.

Hmm? Ford has had IOLMs for years now across gas vehicles as well.

All I know is that my 2019 owners manual says the gas engine does not have an intelligent oil life monitor and it's based upon time/mileage only. The diesel engines have an intelligent monitor, so oil changes should follow the display. That's nearly exactly what it says.

I get what you guys are saying about fuel dilution. I was just pointing out what I read.

"If your vehicle is equipped with a diesel engine, an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ calculates the proper oil change service interval. When the information display indicates: OIL CHANGE REQUIRED, change the engine oil and oil filter. "

"For diesel engines, you need to reset the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™. See Information Displays (page 110)."

Last edited:
Back