Power steering rack problem and advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pickup truck that keeps going through power steering racks. The truck is an 06 ddoge dakota with 60,000 miles on it. Throughout it's life it has had 2 power steering racks replaced due to a leak at the inner tie rod end seal. The third and current rack has just developed the same issue.

The truck is running the correct sized tires, has the factory suspension, and is only used on-road.

I have come to the conclusion that the racks themselves are junk, with poorly made seals. Only one company makes the racks so I have no options.

I am 0-3, so replacing the power steering rack is just a bad investment. What is the opinions on Lucas Stop Leak? Will that fix teh seal problem I am having? What do you think the issue can be? Why would the racks keep failing? The fluid was completely flushed and replaced after each rack was replaced, and currently the fluid (ATF4) is clean and in great shape.

Right now the leak is extremely slow, never drips out of the boot, but I am sure it will get there.

Last edited:
Can you get the rack rebuilt? Perhaps it would seal better if rebuilt (since no other options are out there)

Other than defective seals, I can only assume there is a problem with the fluid. Where I used to work had an 06 and 07 Dakota and other than a bad window switch they had zero problems with either truck.

Where are you getting the racks from ? Dealer, parts store ?
What brand name is on the box ?
Are they actually brand new ?
Or are they rebuilts ?
What led you to replacing the original rack ?
Who is installing the rack ?
What kind of a warranty does the manufacturer of the rack offer ?

Power steering stop leaks generally work by having an additive that swells the seals a little bit, which works for a while.
I doubt that the problem you're experiencing will be helped by a stop leak.

Keith

to much lucas will plug up a rack and prevent it from even turning.

always stay away from anything lucas.

I had a very small leak on the PS of my '07 Grand Prix. The location makes checking the fluid almost impossible on a regular basis. I added Lucas with a little fluid to bring the level back up and haven't had a problem since. Yes, very thick stuff so it's an additive not replacement.

Originally Posted By: EricF
to much lucas will plug up a rack and prevent it from even turning.

always stay away from anything lucas.

Yes "too much" (like completely replacing ALL of the fluid with this stuff) WILL almost lock up the rack, but a little bit of this might be the ONLY Lucas product which actually works.
wink.gif

Might try some lucas, I've had good luck with it in the past. I will say it's not too uncommon for those trucks to eat rack and pinions. And ball joints. Neither are heavy duty enough for truck use. I've seen the ball joints fail with less than 30k miles on them...and same for the racks.

I have heard of a business that rebuilds steering racks independently. It is called Red Head Steering Gears Link

However, I don't know how good it is.

Plus there is the fact that some power steering rack are just not good enough. Certain newer Chevy trucks also have power steering racks that just can't handle the job.

For some strange reason, chrysler steering racks leak quite often, even on replacement racks. Caravans, dakotas, durangos, as well as the rams are the worst offenders of the chrysler group.

And they all spec ATF+4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back