Power steering fluid change out; frequency.

Only service your PS fluid if:
You don't believe in lifetime fluids.
You want that new car steering feel.
You want to remove contaminants from the system to aid in reliability.

Originally Posted by JC1
Do it with the tranny service.

If you have a fluid extractor it will be easier since you can get down the in the lines to remove more of the fluid.

Not in a Ford Focus it has a "filter" and only a few oz's can be extracted.

When I had my F150 I always used the turkey baster method at each oil change.

I probably average once every two years on my older vehicles. Just for piece of mind. Turkey Baster still does the trick/job for me.

After reading this thread I've decided to drink the punch and change out the power steering fluid on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma (91,000 miles). It does look a little cloudy in the reservoir or it's me? Owners manual says use ATF Dexron II or III. Purchased from Wally World Valvoline ATF Dexron III/MERC in the blue jug @ $13.97 a gallon. Will do a complete flush this coming weekend. Piece of mind if anything....

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JC1
Do it with the tranny service.

If you have a fluid extractor it will be easier since you can get down the in the lines to remove more of the fluid.

Not in a Ford Focus it has a "filter" and only a few oz's can be extracted.

Is the filter attached to the rubber line? Can it be easily disconnected? When I do mine I first drain the reservoir, then disconnect the lines and suck the fluid out of those.

I also sprayed a little brake cleaner in the empty reservoir to clean any debris out.

Last edited:
The filter is in a plastic lining in the middle of the reservoir and the low pressure line is beneath the reservoir but it's a pain to remove it's seized in tight. IMO it's not worth servicing it is the only fluid I wont change.

With the electro-hydraulic system on our former Nissan Quest and present Pathfinder, I suck out and refill what I can from the reservoir around 20-30K miles when I buy the vehicles used, then maybe once every year. One quart bottle of Nissan EPS fluid lasts a loooong time. I make nice used cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by BHopkins
I change power steering fluid every 30k miles, and this seems to be just about right. The fluid I take out still looks good, but it is definitely slightly contaminated when compared to the new fluid that goes in.

The fluid darkening is from the hoses and seals leaching their color into the fluid. Doesn't affect performance or life one bit. This is as BITOG OCD as it gets. Would you change the oil on a diesel as soon as IT gets dark? (Which is almost immediately.)

Someone needs to tell both Subaru and Mercedes that there is no reason to change power steering fluid. It's in the maintenance schedule for both of my cars.

I change power steering fluid every 30k miles, and this seems to be just about right. The fluid I take out still looks good, but it is definitely slightly contaminated when compared to the new fluid that goes in.

The fluid darkening is from the hoses and seals leaching their color into the fluid. Doesn't affect performance or life one bit. This is as BITOG OCD as it gets. Would you change the oil on a diesel as soon as IT gets dark? (Which is almost immediately.)

Someone needs to tell both Subaru and Mercedes that there is no reason to change power steering fluid. It's in the maintenance schedule for both of my cars.

It generates revenue for the dealers. Plus if there is a PS warrantee request, and you have not done it, they will use that to void the warrantee. German Cars are notorious for such things. I am a bit surprised with Subaru. Maybe they have a more legit reason.

PS fluid isn't exposed to combustion blowby like motor oil or friction material wear like transmission fluid nor does it absorb moisture like brake fluid. Why would you change it so often or at all for that matter? Maybe every 10 years if it makes you feel good.

I hear you, but I've brought a few old school Ford power steering systems back from what sounded like death by simply swapping out the black, nasty looking ATF in them. The most recent and this is going back.. was in a 2001 Ford Windstar and a 1998 Ford Ranger 2wd, 2.5L

Originally Posted by JTK
PS fluid isn't exposed to combustion blowby like motor oil or friction material wear like transmission fluid nor does it absorb moisture like brake fluid. Why would you change it so often or at all for that matter? Maybe every 10 years if it makes you feel good.

I hear you, but I've brought a few old school Ford power steering systems back from what sounded like death by simply swapping out the black, nasty looking ATF in them. The most recent and this is going back.. was in a 2001 Ford Windstar and a 1998 Ford Ranger 2wd, 2.5L

I can attest to this. When I first bought my b4000 the power steering screeched like a banshee but even with generic prestone p/s fluid it quieted down to where its not making any noise.
Originally Posted by mpack88
My pump is noisy on my 88 forder truck. Probably has never been changed. Wonder if changing the fluid will shut it up?

I'd say go for it. Ford is somewhat known for loud, loud power steering pumps with older fluid.

Originally Posted by mpack88
My pump is noisy on my 88 forder truck. Probably has never been changed. Wonder if changing the fluid will shut it up?

Most probably your fluid level is just below MIN....and is pumping air also...

If the manual says do it then do it per manual. Otherwise don't touch it unless they system has to be repaired and drained anyway. My shop maintaines police cars, city vehicles, school busses, ambulances ect. We have a lot of city and county contracts. None of this is being done on hard use emergency vehicles and you would be shocked how many miles and engine hours they last. Trust me your local taxi guy isn't changing his power steering fluid and he's probably going to run 300-400k miles as a hack on his vehicle. I chuckle at the overthinking. Save some money and time and relax. It's gonna be A-ok. Your kids are being driven to school, your local cop and first responders ect on the cheapest bulk fluids and filter meeting specs and changed at OEM intervals and these vehicles are driven by people who don't care because it's not their vehicle and these things are lasting hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:
Back