post your latest differential fluid change

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
2001 Ford F150 - ~175K

Out: Red Line 75W-140
In: Amsoil SVO 75W-140

crazy2.gif

It saved me ~$15, but the real reason is that I can't help but experiment.
grin.gif
The Red Line 75W-140 did very well, I didn't change because I was in anyway disappointed with the gear oil.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does the SVO have any group 5 in the base stock??

I did the same change as Ben in my 10 bolt (from RL 75W-140), and it actually seems quieter (less ring & pinion scream) with the Amsoil.
Even quieter yet once I added the 4 ounces of Amsoil Slip Lock L.S. additive.

Could higher ester base stocks actually make a ring & pinion louder (contrary to logic/common knowledge as this might seem)??

It must be diff specific, because my 8.8 actually has a tiny, tiny hint of tip and moan between 50-60 mph with the SVO that it did not have with near 50K mile RL 75W-140. Otherwise both oils are equally dead silent.

When I hit ~200K I really want to try Schaeffer #167 moly syn gear lube.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
dailydriver, the S2000's diff is small, with a high gear offset and a small oil capacity. It is notoriously hard on gear oils and many owners opt for a 110 weight gear oil.

OK, I thought you were implicating the actual Torsen diff internals, not the ring and pinion setup/interface.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
When I hit ~200K I really want to try Schaeffer #167 moly syn gear lube.

I would have already tried the above, if it weren't for the carbon fiber clutch pack in the Eaton Posi (bolded is a NO-NO in this).
wink.gif

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD 25K miles.

Rear- Motul 300 75-90, Surprising amount of debris on magnet for a truck that is used basically like a car and driven easily. The Motul gear lube bottle is the best packaging I've seen. Very easy to dispense with the pull out nozzle.

Front- The 4WD has probably been used about 5 miles, mostly to "exercise" the axle and distribute lube. I was certainly changing by time, and in hindsight I would have serviced the front axle sooner. It had a glob of gunk that came out when I pulled the plug. Looked like some moisture was in the lube, surprising since the truck has been driven in the rain only a few times. I have some out of date old shelf life Castrol Syntec I will use to flush for a short run, then either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

- 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Quadrasteer (Dana 60 Limited Slip)
- GM Quadrasteer Synthetic Axle Gear Lubricant 75W-90
(GM Part #12378557)
- Change whenever the rear end starts groaning when in reverse (usually about every 35,000 to 75,000 miles)

I tried one other gear oil that claimed to be compatible in the Quadrasteer... But it did not work. Groaning was worse than the fluid I was replacing. Added a tube of their friction modifier, and it helped but still [censored] out at under 10,000 miles.

Hello, 1993 Ford Explorer 159,000 miles
OUT: 14 oz. black thin grunge from front diff.
28 oz. dark brown fluid with gooey black strands
from rear diff.
Assume it was factory fill
IN: Standard garage mix of leftover Coastal, Amsoil and
Agway. All were 75-90
CAPACITY: Filled to bottom of fill plug opening.
NOTE: Front diff. self drained due to leaking axle seal

Toyota Altezza RS200-Z - OE Torsen LSD 4.100

Out: I can only assume OE fill
In: Castrol SAF-XA 80w40 fully synthetic (I really like this stuff, torsen lsd hooks up much quicker)

I just replaced the diff fluid in my 2002 Tacoma for the first time (at 130K miles). Yeah, I know. Should've done it earlier. I used Mobil 1 75w90. I can't tell any difference, but everything is rocking along in the 1000 or so miles since I did it. Oh, and did I mention that gear oil smells strong? ;-)

1990 ford bronco 200k miles on 8.8 axle
10-15k miles on gear oil change with off road use (deep mud/water)

88gear001.jpg

88gear002.jpg

88gear018.jpg

clean and ready to be refilled with supertech 80w90.

Last edited:
I change my Forester rear diff flid every 20K miles minimum. Center differential about every 25K miles miles and do a drain and fill on the ATF every 10-12K miles.

I use Mobil1 75W-90 for the difs and Subaru HP ATF fluid for the Auto tranny.

2010 Lancer Ralliart Sportback 9700 miles

Out: OEM SAE90 LS Gear oil
In: Valvoline conventional 80w90

I am using the conventional gear oil to flush out the break-in debris before using Red line oil.

The oil that came out of the rear was grey and the plug was totally covered in metal. The transfer case oil was still yellow in color, but the plug was just as dirty.

The manual says to replace the oil every 30,000 miles in normal driving or 15,000 miles if the car sees track use.

Back