Post Your Latest CAF Change!

2011 Chrysler Town and Country
Out: Napa Ultra 8
In: AirTechnik CF10743 from Amazon

2009 Honda CR-V
Out: Napa Ultra 8
In: Puroma CP134 from Amazon

Amazon cheapies look just as good size, pleat, and filter media wise as the Napas they replaced.

2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Out: Champ/Lube-Finer CAF from Rock Auto. - it was approximately 10-12k miles ago and was last replaced over a year ago. Filter was loaded enough to make a noticeable difference in AC cooling performance.

In: Generic filter from a cheap 3-Pack from Amazon. Almost identical to the one removed though the new one has zero markings on it. I suspect getting this filter out will be a pain due to the slight difference in the retainer notch. Media pleats were similar, etc. I won't sweat it much because I got 3 for $20.

Here's a link (I make zero dollars, just trying to be helpful) to the 3-pack if any Mazda 3, 6, or CX-5 owners want cheap CAFs.

This is the old filter from when I swapped it today; about 3-400 miles ago, I took it out to inspect it (and then ordered new filters) and knocked the leaves and debris out. All the crap collected in the pleats in the last ~2 weeks. 1-year or 10-12k miles seems to be the running average since I moved to the STL area in 2014. My Kia Sorento would be filthy in ~10k miles too.

dirty-cabin-filter-may-2023.jpeg

My Nissans are due. I dread doing them because it's a once and done endeavor with Nissan due to the terrible design. You typically ruin the filter removing it and you have to squish the new one to fit it though the hole for reinstall and hope it expands properly once it's in there.

They probably figure that the CVT will disintegrate before you would need to change the CAF.

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
I changed out the filter on the CX5 today. Out was the dealer bought Denso. In went a Fram TruAir. Took less than a minute.

The old filter had about 10-12,000 on it. It was definitely ready for the trash.

Put a Spearhead Breath EZ Hepa filter in my 22’ Ram 2500. Took out the factory filter that came in it. New filter fit tighter than the OEM filter.

Replaced a cheapo FVP in our '06 Kia Spectra with a Premium Guard Pureflow. It's VERY smoky here in WI due to the Canada wildfires, and I'm happy to report that the new filter works wonders.

OE vs EPAuto.

Pleats are thicker and weight is heavier. Fitment has no gap compared to OE.

20230703_133910.jpg
20230703_133949.jpg
20230703_133920.jpg

Replaced the CAF in my 19 Impreza after ~12 months. The old was a carbon TCY and with the 12 months but low miles it had some debris but not a lot. Used a Bosch HEPA. So far, the whole 20 seconds I used it I didn't detect any reduction in air flow.

2019 Mazda CX-5 @ 29,500.
One year exactly (5,000 mi. on CAF). I wanted to see what one year's service would look like.
Not dirty at all. Not worth photographing.
I installed a new one and washed the old one.

A friend will get the 99.8% pristine old one tomorrow.
She doesn't even know CAFs exist.
Being a 2016, hers could be 7-8 years old.

Just swapped out the one in our 2021 Camry. I should write that down in the logbook, forgot to do that, so I don't know offhand how long it's been there. Wasn't bad though.

Am excited, my 2021 Corolla takes the same filter! ok excited is a bit too strong of a term, but it's nice from an inventory perspective.

I replaced my friends filter on her 2017 HRV with 50,000 miles. I removed a Honda filter and installed an Ecogard. I doubt this was the factory filter.

IMG_4455.jpeg

2015 Chevy Silverado LT. It’s a company truck that I inherited when my boss retired. The cabin filter definitely had seen better days and had a mouse house in it. The truck had a 138,600 miles on it when the cabin filter was changed. Also had the truck detailed, which made a world of difference.

Out: Possibly the factory filter

In: Fram TrueAir CV11809

old filter
IMG_7426.jpeg
IMG_7430.jpeg

after being detailed
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1018.jpeg

2020 Odyssey 30k
Out
Honda filter
Just bought the car looks like it never been changed

In
EocGard

2008 Accord

Just changed a year old Bosch HEPA out for a Hengst. Decided to try non-HEPA and non-charcoal to see if I like that better.

The Hengst fitment is very good, and based on construction alone I would recommend them to others. First product of theirs I've ever used.

Back