Possible Oil Filter Failure??? 2009 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Just put an OEM filter in there and some fresh oil and drive on. maybe recommend a shorter OCI to clear the crud with a new currently fitting filter. Some of this toyota canisters are picky on the filter.

My second +1

In my experience when piston/rings allow combustion by products to blow-by into the crankcase oil, black carbon particles form in the oil and are trapped in the filter and settle in lower parts of the engine. I would guess this engine has suffered from neglect in the past and the latest oil and filter were in service a little to long. The amount of carbon found in the pleats of the filter is not unacceptable but I would take a look at the next filter to come out of this engine. Who knows what the last OCI was.

There's no problem being a bit cautious and taking a conservative approach for what in my family is an expensive item to service if there is a problem.

I like this kind of approach rather than seeing that the filter on the outside and the oil look new and not changing it as has been documented in those quicky lube places and could well happen at the dealer, too.

A young lady at work nearby discovered through a friend of her father that after 27K miles on her purchased new car, serviced every 3K miles at a quicky lube place still had the original OEM oil filter and not the expected "white box" filter. The friend, the father, and the young lady are seeking compensation for the less than useful service.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Not a big deal IMO.

33.gif

Your signature doesn't match your post. Not sure how you'd be ok sleeping at night with this dirty [censored] engine oil.

Originally Posted By: Artem
So.... was changing the oil on an 09 Lexus ES350 - 118k miles. This is a new client so the previous oil and filter type are unknown. Typical fast lube place probably, going off the window sticker.

I would bet in the past she was "charged" for an oil/filter service and it wasn't done

Lab results came in from the oil sample I sent out. Figured I'd post it here as well as its own UOA thread in the proper section.

Not sure why it's in the 5w20 range when this engine specs 5w30 (it's on the oil cap!)

This oil also only has about 2,000 miles on it. So the fact that it shows enough wear as the average 6,700 mile UOA from Blackstone is interesting.

Maybe somebody who follows additive types by oil can tell you exactly what oil that was.

Looks like it was a xw20. If there was only 2000 miles on it, those insolubles are a little high.

Pity you didn't get a TBN.

Together with what you found in the filter, it looks like it was simply some under maintenance in the past. I'm sure if there was anything serious you would have seen it down the fill hole.

Btw, I don't think there was anything in the oil past the filter. Otherwise you would have seen it in the drained oil.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Artem
So.... was changing the oil on an 09 Lexus ES350 - 118k miles. This is a new client so the previous oil and filter type are unknown. Typical fast lube place probably, going off the window sticker.

I would bet in the past she was "charged" for an oil/filter service and it wasn't done

My guess as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back