Possible fuel injector noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2007 Focus a harsh clack-clack-clack started from the top left hand side of the engine about two weeks ago(I did try a new filter to no avail). The noise started all at once. I checked everything with my stethoscope and everything is normal on the valve cover and cyl head in that area. I also opened the oil fill cap and probed the cap of the exhaust cam in that area, and all was normal. As soon as I touched the injector and fuel rail above that injector, I get a much noisier clacking than the other three injectors. Could it be the injector, and has anyone heard of this?

Consider unplugging the wire to the suspect injector and then start and see if the noise goes away. The engine will run rough, zero in on the specific noise you had before.

If unsure, stop the engine, plug back in and start. Stop the engine and unplug a different injector and see. You're bound to find the noisy one in no time.

I don't recommend swapping injectors on the engine, the fuel rail is under lots of pressure even when off and all the gas has to be contained, swapping injectors also means moving 2 injectors as a minimum with wear to seals, etc after you lift of the entire fuel rail! It's a mess!

However, unplugging a injector will set a OBDII code for a while, but it's a lesser evil then wanking off the fuel rail!

It is the 0w20 that gave you "the noise"? Piston slap?

Sorry, could't help myself...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
It is the 0w20 that gave you "the noise"? Piston slap?

No

Sorry, could't help myself...
wink.gif

I had one fusion with a similar engine the came to the dealer with a tick noise from the top front. After a ton of looking it was the intake manifold. Check to see if there is a runner control in your intake. What I found was the butterfly's in the Intake were worn and when that cylinder would fire the pulse would create the noise. It was the #1 hole and very close to the fuel injector.

Get a cheap mechanics stethoscope if you don't have one and listen to each injector running. Its very rare for one of these Bosch style injectors to get so loud its objectionable but it happens, its more common with old metal bodied pintel style ones.
Still, listen to them its the first step at least you can rule them out or find a loud one.

Originally Posted By: MiKe3o
I had one fusion with a similar engine the came to the dealer with a tick noise from the top front. After a ton of looking it was the intake manifold. Check to see if there is a runner control in your intake. What I found was the butterfly's in the Intake were worn and when that cylinder would fire the pulse would create the noise. It was the #1 hole and very close to the fuel injector.

After further investigation, it is the swirl valve located in the intake manifold (96.2% sure)as you said. Here is a video I found and the fix for the problem. Apparently this is a problem on several makes of engines. Thank you for the tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back