Poop Storm Used Car Purchase

Bill of sale normally accompanies a private or company sale also beyond title. I have done it on a napkin before. Moving forward do it with private sales also.

I hope it sorts.

Best of luck!
It just depends. CO doesn't require a bill of sale, only a signed title. I never provide a bill of sale unless it helps me (sometimes it can help avoid ridiculous "late fees" //read: new ways to tax// if it's dated later than the title signature dates).

But beyond that my policy with government-- including motor vehicle registration-- is never provide more than the bare minimum they absolutely require. More info can only hurt you if offered unsolicited.

Now of course in this specific case OP will need to offer anything and everything he can dig up.

Used car lot. Strangely, a luxury used car dealership. The Scion was a trade in.
Any cameras on the lot? It doesn't prove you didn't take it for a test drive and never return, but it does prove you spoke with the sales person in question and didn't sneak in under cover of night. It would be something to bolster your claims.

This happened to me in a way. I did have a receipt. with no proof of sale bring it back to the dealership. ask for your $$ back.
You don't want it to get in the middle of this with a possible solen car.

I feel for you. I honestly might have made the same mistake, except back in like 2009 when I lived in Charlotte NC a large new car dealer went under. For the last couple months of business they had been essentially embezzeling the tax / title money they had been taking in. Gave everyone a temp tag, but didn't file the transaction. When they went under people found out their new or used cars had never been registered, and they were out any money they paid for registration and taxes and dealer fee. I wasn't one of them but since then I do cashiers check or visa for everything.

They had to re-pay directly to the state, and they could file a claim with the bankruptcy court but they were behind all the secured creditors. I was actually surprised by the last part - you think outright fraud would dictate you were at the front of the line, but the laws are written by the banks, not us serfs.

Hope it works out for you.

Any cameras on the lot? It doesn't prove you didn't take it for a test drive and never return, but it does prove you spoke with the sales person in question and didn't sneak in under cover of night. It would be something to bolster your claims.
Yes. The dealership does seem to sympathize with me on this. They told me they have cameras and were asking me for specific time I spoke with the associate. Not only that, hey told me they have a witness, another associate, who vouched for my transaction there.

As some of you know, I bought a Scion a few months ago. After finally getting all the mechanical issues sorted out, I now have a problem of a different sort. I'm trying to get the car registered, but now I've run into the most unfortunate series of events.

This is the first car I have ever purchased from a dealership. All other cars I've bought have been from private sellers. Consequently, I was not aware that purchasing from a dealership is different from private sale by the bill of sale. This means I wasn't checking for a bill of sale when I bought the car. I assumed all I needed was as signed title.

So I went to get my car titled, and the tag office told me a bill of sale is required. I call the used car dealership for a bill of sale, and the poop storm begins.

A month prior to all this, the dealer had called me, saying if I was still interested in purchasing the Scion. I told them No, I am the one who purchased it. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Back to the present, the dealer tells me they have no record of the car being sold. They start asking me for information about the transaction and tell me they'll get back to me. Later, they call me, saying they need to file a police report. Apparently, the associate I handed $2300 to, took the money and ran. Travis, was his name. No bill of sale or record of purchase exists, because it was never filed. The guy stole the money! I guess this is plausible, because the Scion was such a beater that no one expressed interest in buying it the entire 2 months I had owned it and the dealership had it posted for sale.

So now I need to figure out how to get proof of purchase! They told me they want to register the car in their name in order to provide a bill of sale. I called a lawyer, and they told me to work out a contract in writing to get this bill of sale working. AAAAAAHHHH, what a pain.
Sounds like when I worked for a Lexus dealership. For some strange reason one of the F&I guys wasn't registering new vehicles. There was just mounds of paperwork sitting. It came to a head after a customer came in and said she couldn't register her suv because the dmv couldn't find her vin in the system.

It just depends. CO doesn't require a bill of sale, only a signed title. I never provide a bill of sale unless it helps me (sometimes it can help avoid ridiculous "late fees" //read: new ways to tax// if it's dated later than the title signature dates).

But beyond that my policy with government-- including motor vehicle registration-- is never provide more than the bare minimum they absolutely require. More info can only hurt you if offered unsolicited.

Now of course in this specific case OP will need to offer anything and everything he can dig up.
IMG_3230.jpeg

Sounds like when I worked for a Lexus dealership. For some strange reason one of the F&I guys wasn't registering new vehicles. There was just mounds of paperwork sitting. It came to a head after a customer came in and said she couldn't register her suv because the dmv couldn't find her vin in the system.
The worst that happened to me is the idgit at dealer misspelled my last name and I didn't notice until next year (yeah I know)..............THEIR mistake........well good luck with that. I had to hassle DMV and pay $30 to get it corrected, even though everyone told me, the dealer is liable and they are supposed to change it etc, they didn't do squat.

Yes. The dealership does seem to sympathize with me on this. They told me they have cameras and were asking me for specific time I spoke with the associate. Not only that, hey told me they have a witness, another associate, who vouched for my transaction there.
Well, that’s good, that they seem to sympathize.

In your thread on this purchase decision, you said that it “had a clean title”.

Why did you not get a title when you bought it? Or at least a bill of sale?

Thread 'Beater: Should I buy this car?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/beater-should-i-buy-this-car.379831/

I’ve bought about 20 cars in my life - not a lot, but every single one of them had a title, or (in the case of the only two new cars I ever bought) was bought from a dealer and they did the registration. Every single one had a title.

I even got a bill of sale for an unregistered, off road only, motorcycle, an RM-125, when I was 15 years old and paid cash.

Your story surprises me - no bill of sale? No title? No contract? How do you drive away without some proof of ownership?

Well, that’s good, that they seem to sympathize.

In your thread on this purchase decision, you said that it “had a clean title”.

Why did you not get a title when you bought it? Or at least a bill of sale?

Thread 'Beater: Should I buy this car?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/beater-should-i-buy-this-car.379831/

I’ve bought about 20 cars in my life - not a lot, but every single one of them had a title, or (in the case of the only two new cars I ever bought) was bought from a dealer and they did the registration. Every single one had a title.

I even got a bill of sale for an unregistered, off road only, motorcycle, an RM-125, when I was 15 years old and paid cash.

Your story surprises me - no bill of sale? No title? No contract? How do you drive away without some proof of ownership?
They gave me the title, signed. It’s the bill of sale they did not give me.

My local county Motor Vehicle Registration office confirms that because CO titles show date and purchase price, that acts as a bill of sale. They specifically noted this is true of NM titles, also (we're right on the border so NM purchases are common).

That said, every county could handle this differently, although I know the neighboring county to the west does the same thing.

I don't know how other states handle it but CO is weird because even though there is a CO DMV site (which you screenshot), Registration is handled at the county level and payments are made to [COUNTY] Clerk & Recorder. However ‐‐ and perhaps not surprisingly -- for Drivers Licenses the county has zero authority and refers you to the state.

Bureaucracy is awesome!

The worst that happened to me is the idgit at dealer misspelled my last name and I didn't notice until next year (yeah I know)..............THEIR mistake........well good luck with that. I had to hassle DMV and pay $30 to get it corrected, even though everyone told me, the dealer is liable and they are supposed to change it etc, they didn't do squat.
my last 2 purchases ( at 2 different mainline Dealers ) had minor title snafus.
back in 2014 when i bought my sable, at the time of sale it had 69,997miles. when i got the memorandum title 2 weeks later, that showed 699,997. drove it straight over to them...umm some one messed up... (besides i seriously doubt anyone would give me a loan on a 5 yr old car w/700k mi)

then in '19 when i traded in the Sable for the C-max:
I got the car, and all the paperwork( including bill of sale) and went about my merry way...couple weeks go by...no Memorandum title in the mail...another week...so i call them up...state the situation, "we'll have to look into that and call you back"
turns out when the prev. owners traded it in ( like a day before i bought it) and the dealership paid off their existing note on the car, instead of sending the title to the dealer, the bank sent it to the previous owners...had to have them bring it in to the dealership, do their paperwork, it was another week or so before i got my memorandum title. the dealer did send me a check to cover any potential late fees from the state ( since i had been driving on my old plates with only a bill of sale for almost a month)
now, we're an Electronic Title state. you pay off the car, they send you a pay off letter, and if you want an actual copy of the title, you have to go to your county title dept. cuz it's easier to just have a state run database of who owns what, that to give owners an official sheet of paper.

Reminds me of the new guy who arrived in our small prairie town and soon went to work for our neighbour who owned a farm equipment agency.

The new guy knew everything, and could do everything. He was a good sales guy, a good repair guy, a good talker, etc. He soon drove out the owner's brother who had been the book-keeper at the agency for decades. Business was suddenly so good they ordered a dozen new tractors and sold them all in no time.

Apparently the buyers were paying cash (there must have been a really good price for a cash transaction) but the records said the tractors were all bought on time.

Then the new guy suddenly left town and no more payments came in. As far as I know the police were not involved. I don't know how they sorted out who owned all those tractors (probably the farmers if they had a bill of sale). The farm machinery agency soon closed down, in part because the owner was dying of cancer.

But karma came into the story too. We found out that the "can do everything" guy soon got cancer and died too.

Back