Pontiac V8 oil observation

I think it's heat. I've been thinking more about this. I've had a 396 and a 350 Chevy, both were around 325 horsepower. I'd go whack on them and never noticed the oil pressure change like this. But this engine is 575 HP. So it's really putting quite a bit more heat into the engine on a full throttle run.

I also noticed that the coolant temp gauge rises maybe 10-15 degrees immediately after a full throttle run, then comes back down. Neither Chevy engine really did that either, or if they did, it was small enough that I never noticed.

Quite honestly, it may be just that I've got so much $ in this one compared to the other two that I pay more attention!

Besides, even 20 PSI idle and 40 PSI cruise seems great to me considering I am running a 10w30 oil in a traditional hot rod. My 350 Chevy ran 10w40 and would go down to 10 PSI at idle and 30 cruise, and that engine never failed.

There’s a lot of heat built up with big cubic inch engine with large stroke. Yes the oil heats up. I assume this is the big journal engine (455)? Those huge Pontiac journals create heat anyway. What size oil pan? Long stroke needs deep high volume pan for all these reasons...

Back