Plumbing/Bldg Experts: Cause of Wet Slab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not roof leak drip-down, as ceiling is dry, unstained, and perfect.

Have a condo across town, 1050 sq ft slab construction, single story ground floor only in bldg with four such condos. Last October, residents experienced a wet spot in bedroom carpet about 1x1' and thought it was pet dog accident, although no odor or tint but the dog was terminally ill and experiencing unusual urinary results. Never happened again. Until last week. No dog now and it has progressed from 1x1' last week to 5x5' as of lastnight. Carpet and pad taken up, saturated, removed from condo. No visible cracking or apparent problems with slab. Plumber called this morning, will see what they say.

Condo built 2008, only one year of occupancy 2011 - 2012 before I bought it 2015, been occupied since. Blueprints not available.

Have had excessive rainfall this year and lot adjacent to bedroom does get some standing water on heavy downpours. All exterior maintenance and grading upkeep etc are responsibility of Condo Association. Residents advise gutters do not appear to be overflowing in heavy rain and putting water onto foundation, and even if so, that would be on Condo Assoc to maintain.

This would seem to be either water incursion from poor foundation grading or more likely and unfortunately for me, possible rupture of a supply line but with the incident in Oct and then no problems until last week it doesn't seem possible to be a plumbing fixture.

Thought about obstructed drain or pipe, but seems unlikely? Seems it would take pressure to push the water up to surface of slab.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Have had excessive rainfall this year and lot adjacent to bedroom does get some standing water on heavy downpours. All exterior maintenance and grading upkeep etc are responsibility of Condo Association. Residents advise gutters do not appear to be overflowing in heavy rain and putting water onto foundation, and even if so, that would be on Condo Assoc to maintain.

Get ready for a legal battle if it is their problem.

No trace of wetness coming from all four nearby directions?
No wet spot inside the concrete floor below?
Nothing leaking from the ceiling above them?

If none of the above,sounds like the dead dog came back in spirit and left them a deposit again.
Wait - since the wet spot has enlarged five-fold, the dog came back five times..... or had to "go" real-real bad.

You need to go there in a rain, and check all rain gutter system is dumping water away from the walls/foundation.

Also check the neighboring buildings/houses too. This may also be your culprit.

Source: my rental developed a wet spot in the finished basement. middle/center of the building. all tile-up.

UPDATE

Paid a visit to the condo this morning. Everything I'd been getting was by phone description from resident. Upon inspection (by me) it's the evap coil drain on HVAC is plugged up and over flowing. HVAC and water heater located in utility closet adjacent wall to bedroom. Service call to HVAC repair made, technician expected this afternoon. Yes I could clear the pvc drain pipe myself but don't have time and the unit needs a service call anyhow, overdue for this season's checkup. Called plumber and cancelled well before arrival.

It was wicking through carpet actually a small butler's closet for the bedroom is directly other side of the utility closet on common wall. What I don't like is that the base plate of that wall is likely taking up some of the water. In a perfect world, county code would require that wall base plates anchored to concrete slab be CCA treated type, but that's not the case. I'm not in construction but that makes sense to me. Perhaps there's a reason why treated lumber is not used for base of interior walls anchored to slab.

Put a drip pan under the unit with a high level water alarm or AC cutoff. Typical problem is a P trap that is clogged with sediment

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
There should be a turn off valve on the drain line so if the line is full this doesnt occur.

Ah, there should be but the outfit that built the place seems to have cut the corner on that. Or their hvac installer did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back