Crawl Space Encapsulation, Drainage, & Dehumidify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contractor A was AFS in Huntsville, Alabama.
Contractor B was Allied Foundation & Crawl Space in Decatur, Alabama.
I ended up going with Allied. They're a lower price for a reason - cut corners (i.e., not performing work as agreed upon - some items listed below), rushed, no testing to confirm system is working, etc. I would hesitate to use them again on a foundation repair & would recommend to not use them unless you go into it knowing what you'll be dealing with & if it's worth the upfront savings. If you understand the job and you're willing to go over the job in detail at the start of work & stay on them the entire 2 days to perform the work, then you can probably save a good deal of money over AFS. If you just want the job done the way it's agreed upon & come back to it done that way and can afford the premium, then go with AFS. You can do a lot of rework for $5,500 though. It's probably the crew performing the work to help their commission.

Tape was not applied to the plastic liner at the top of the wall after they were shot in. I was told that it would all be taped at the top. Otherwise, how are rodents, insects, & odors prevented from entering?
They're using 3" drain pipe but said that they would use 4" drain pipe EZ-1001F. This may technically be fine, but it's different than what they said.
Emitters weren't 6" as stated but rather a 4" & 3".
PVC pipe was used not CPVC. Not a huge deal but different than the contract.
Schedule 40 pipe was used not schedule 80. Again, not a huge deal but different than the contract.
One hygrometer was provided when the quote said two. The unit they provided isn't close to accurate.
Satellite cable was cut while digging the outside ditch for the discharge lines. This was after showing the concern at the start of the job.

I went with the Sante Fe Force dehumidifier.
Two Zoeller 1/2 HP M98 pumps were used. I like that they used 2 sumps with 1 pump each at either end of the crawl space trench rather than a single sump with 2 pumps installed.
We'll see how this works out over the next year once all 4 seasons have been experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back